56

Kegan had never seen Tan look so distraught. His hands were chained at his sides to the ground of the prison cell he was in, and there was very little slack so he wasn't free to move around the space. He had a thick collar around his neck and there was red around it from where he'd tried to pull it off.

"What's on his neck?" Kegan whispered, looking up Calix with a horrified expression.

He didn't think that Tan would be treated like this! It looked like pure torture; Tan had never appeared so sad and in pain.

Calix growled at their prisoner, ignoring Kegan's terrified expression. "It overpowers his senses and weakens. He can't talk through any form of mind link or shift," he said, making Kegan's jaw drop.

"So he's been unable to talk to anyone?!" he demanded, shoving Calix's arm. "And his wolf has been trapped for a full month?!"

"Why do I feel like you're not on my side?" Calix asked, torn between growling and being confused. He settled on confusion, since Kegan was a little off due to his pregnancy anyway.

Kegan walked up to Tan, kneeling in front of the wolf. Sweat poured down Tan's face and his eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep and energy. It was almost as if he didn't even see Kegan and was staring right through him.

"I'm not on your side! You can't torture someone like this!" Kegan cried, trying to make Tan respond to him, but the Alpha merely groaned and looked away. "He's in an Alpha-Alpha relationship, but Tan is more sensitive and relies on Luke for strength! Imagine if someone tore us apart and didn't even allow us a mind link!"

Glaring, Calix grabbed Kegan's arm and pulled him away from Tan. "He's a traitor! He doesn't deserve to be able to speak to Luke!" he bellowed, making Tan wince at the mention of his mate.

"We don't know he's a traitor!" Kegan shouted back. "If he was, why not attack us earlier? Why not have Hallie help them earlier? She's a witch, why would she even be here if she was on their side?!"

"What the hell do you want me to do?!" Calix asked, slamming his fist against the wall. "I'm trying to protect you!"

Kegan was seething, but he forced himself to calm down. "Get out of here. Let me talk to him. If there's any issues I'll mind link you, because unlike our friend, I can," he spat, ignoring his mate's growl.

"Fine," Calix grumbled, surprising Kegan. "Ten minutes, okay?"

Grinning, Kegan blew Calix a kiss. "I'll tell you if I need more," he said in a giddy voice.

"Ten minutes!" Calix reiterated, leaving the room and waiting outside.

Kegan waited for the door to shut before running over to Tan. He looked over the collar and tried to tug at it, but soon found a padlock on it that needed a key to open.

"Damn," Kegan mumbled, letting go of the collar. He sat in front of Tan, lifting his friend's chin so they were making eye contact. "Tan, can you hear me?"

Tan whimpered and pulled his face away, the chains clinking as he lifted his hands to wipe the tears dripping down his cheeks away. He looked at Kegan with watery eyes. "I didn't betray the pack," he whispered brokenly. "I did what Hallie said in order to keep you safe."

Kegan raised his eyebrows, sitting across from Tan and tilting his head slightly. "What did Hallie tell you to do?" he asked, trying to think about what Hallie had possibly done before it popped into his head. "Is this about the injection?!"

Tan nodded, coughing before more tears made their way down his face. "I told them it was a bad idea and that you'd never forgive them but they said it was the only way to get Leon to leave you alone!" he cried, whimpering as the cuffs cut into his hands when he tried to wipe away his tears.

"What did you do to me?" Kegan asked, but Tan just shook his head.

"You'll hate me," he sobbed, lowering his face in shame. "I did it because they said that it would protect you and they were right! As soon as we sent word to Leon he stopped preparing his army!"

"What did you do?!" Kegan shouted, his heart breaking at the idea that something so life changing had been done that it managed to get Leon to leave him alone. "Tell me or I'll stop demanding that Calix let you see Luke!"

Tan cried out at the name of his mate. "No, please! I can't live without him! I'm in so much pain from not being able to see him!" he howled, pulling at the chains and making Kegan back up.

"Tell me what you did, Tan," Kegan begged, pleading with his friend. "Please."

Tan lowered his face once again. "Leon needed you for heirs," he whispered. "If you can't have pups... you're useless to him."

Kegan's heart dropped and he felt himself go lightheaded. "What was in that injection?"

"It was designed to make you infertile," Tan said, fresh tears brimming in his eyes. "S-So we waited until you were pregnant so you could at least have a child or a few before you couldn't ever reproduce again."

That's when Kegan blacked out.

•••

Calix entered the room after the ten minutes were up, only to find Tan sobbing and Kegan blacked out on the floor.

"What happened?!" Calix roared, rushing to his mate and lifting him into his arms. He was terrified and quickly mind linked Kai to have her take his mate back to the pack house and asked the doctor to meet them there. "What the hell did you do?!"

Tan lifted up his chained arms to dry his tears from his face. "I told him the truth," he whispered. "Calix... I swear I never betrayed you or Kegan. I did what I had to do to keep Kegan from being used by Leon."

Calix narrowed his eyes, cuddling Kegan closer to his chest. "What did you do, Tan?"

Sighing, Tan recounted what he'd told Kegan to Calix. He saw Calix tensing up, a deadly and terrifying look on his face. If looks could kill, Tan would be sitting beside the moon goddess.

"I swear I never meant to hurt him. Leon would've never stopped attacking us! I had to-"

"Our pack is stronger!" Calix bellowed, laying Kegan on the ground and standing menacingly over Tan. "We could've protected him! You know how risky the first pregnancy for an Omega is! Look at Astra! She lost four pups! What if Kegan loses all of ours?! He'll-"

A sob echoed through the room, making Calix turn around. His face fell when he saw the door to the room opened, Astra standing on the other side with her own tears about to fall.

"F-Four?" she asked quietly, though the words seemed louder than ever. "Y-You told me it was on-only one!"

Kai's coos could be heard from behind Astra as she tried to soothe her mate, but Astra ran off with tears on her face. She yelled for Kai to leave her alone, but the Alpha continued running.

"We will finish this conversation later," Calix snarled, before looking down at his mate and sighing. "Guards!"

A warrior wolf ran down the hall, bowing to his Alpha. "Yes, sir?"

"Follow Luna Kegan's request and allow Tan thirty minutes with his mate, under supervision. Okay?" he said, bowing his head as he walked through the open doors. "I'm not doing this for you, Tan. I'm doing this for my mate."

•••

Sorry for the slow updates! I've been hella busy and a little stressed so it took a little longer!!!

Hope you all are enjoying, there isn't much left to this story, idk if I'm gonna do a sequel or what will be next for me :)