24: I thought I'd lost you

You can hear the loud booming sound of an orc army marching at full speed down the tunnel towards you.

A wave of dizziness courses through you. You start to get a headache, realizing you've fallen into a trap. The orcs are getting closer. There is no escape.

You turn to face Fili, trying to hide your fear, but failing. You are scared for both Fili's life and your own.

"Kili, run!" Fili shouts, alerting his brother, who is searching the building elsewhere.

The two of you stand side by side, bracing yourselves for whatever comes down the tunnel. You will fight your hardest because your life and your future husband's life depend on it.

"I want you to know that I love you, (Y/N)," Fili wipes a drop of sweat off your forehead and quickly kisses your cheek.

"I love you too Fee, more than you will ever know," you fight back tears, knowing you have to stay strong right now.

"I wish we could have gotten married, and started a family together, and.." Fili starts, but you cut him off.

"We will. After all of this is over. I promise. We will make it out of here alive," you take Fili's hand and brush the top of it with your thumb, just like he always does to you.

You take a deep breath and let it go, focused and determined more than ever now. For once in your life, there isn't a hint of laughter in your eyes or a smile on your face.

You see a light further down the tunnel. The sound of orc drums and the heavy pounding of your heart are the only things you hear.

•••

You had fought your absolute hardest, but it still wasn't enough. It was two  against thousands. Despite being arguably the two best fighters in the company, there still was no chance.

You are dragged across the ground, an orc holding you by the collar of your jacket. You feel a sense of dread as you are lifted up, hanging above the second floor of the tower. You got separated from Fili in the tunnel and didn't see what happened to him, but you assume it can't be good.

Azog, the orc that is holding you, lifts up a large sword with a serrated metal edge. Adrenaline rushes through your body. You get a burst of energy as you fight for your life, turning around, kicking the pale orc in the chest.

By some crazy luck, your attempt to free yourself works. Azog stumbles backwards, allowing you to slip free of his grip. You feel yourself fall, but just barely manage to latch onto the edge of the cliff with your fingertips. Azog regains his footing and approached you with the sword in hand. He lifts it, about to let the sword slam down on your fingers, but before the blade pierces your skin, your fingers slip.

You have now escaped death by orcs, but now you find yourself plummeting towards the ground. As you fall, you see the silhouette of dozens of giant eagles, the same ones that saved the Company before, diving in to take down the orcs.

You close your eyes, waiting for death to hit you, but it doesn't. Instead of hitting the ground, you fall into a pair of strong arms.

"(Y/N)!" The owner of the arms speaks.

"Thorin!" You open your eyes, shocked.

Your shock shifts to panic as you frantically look around you, searching for Fili.

"F- Fili! N-no. No! I-I tried to save him but I -I..." You start to hyperventilate, feeling the tears start to run down your cheeks. You scream, absolutely distraught by what you see. A figure, slumped at the base of the cliff.

You rip free from Thorin's arms, running to Fili's side. You collapse, holding Fili in your arms. You never thought it would end this way.

You look up at Thorin. He too has tears in his eyes. This is the first time you've ever seen him show emotion like this.

"My heart!" You grasp at your chest, "It hurts!"

"Why is that (Y/N)?" A weak voice says.

"Fili!" You shout with relief as you look at Fili, barely alive, but still alive in your arms, "Oh, Fili! You're alive! I thought I'd lost you!"

"(Y/N)." Fili smiles weakly, reaching up to touch your face.

Suddenly, Dwalin runs around the corner, carrying an injured Kili.

"We must get them somewhere safe!" He calls out, "(Y/N), Thorin! Grab Fili and follow me!"

Thorin picks Fili up and you follow Dwalin. Luckily you find three mountain sheep still unharmed, sitting near the path leading down the mountain.

"(Y/N)! Take Fili, there is still one thing left for me to do." Thorin lifts Fili into your arms before straddling one of the mountain sheep and riding off in the opposite direction, back up the mountain.

"Thorin!" You scream, but he doesn't turn around.

•••

You and Dwalin find refuge inside Erebor where you can take care of Fili and Kili.

You lay them comfortably down on the ground. You remember you had some bandages in the pocket of your jacket from Lake Town. You reach into your jacket and fish them out. As you tend to the brothers' wounds, the elf you met back in Mirkwood, Tauriel, rushes into the room.

"Kili!" She exclaims as she runs to sit beside Kili.

"Can you heal them?" You look at her with desperation in your eyes.

"I can try." Tauriel nods.

You step away from Fili and let Tauriel take over.

She whispers something in elvish, hovering a hand over each of the brothers. Slowly, Fili and Kili's wounds stop bleeding and begin to close up.

"Thank you," You say to Tauriel with tears in your eyes.

You realize that she also has tears streaming down her face. The two of you share the same smile. Fili and Kili begin to wake up and realize where they are.

"(Y/N)!" Fili wraps his arms around you.

"You kept your promise," he smiles weakly, "The one where you told me we'd make it out alive. I do get to marry you after all! Unless you've changed your mind since I last saw you," Fili jokes.

You take his face in your hands and kiss him passionately, happy to see that the same old Fili is back.