Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                “I think I’m going to die if she makes us run another lap!” Cassandra panted, as she slowly jogged beside me.

                I let out a laugh, as the coach blew her whistle obnoxiously. “Hurry up! Your cardio should be a lot better than whatever the hell this is!” she barked at a couple of girls who were literally dragging their feet behind them.

                Cassandra stared at Coach White with wide eyes, as she picked up her pace immediately. “I hate gym.” Cassandra grumbled, as she wiped the sweat on her forehead with the back of her hand. “The only good thing that comes out of this class if that I get toned legs!”

                “It’s not that bad.” I shrugged.

                Cassandra rolled her eyes, raising an eyebrow at me. “You could say that for yourself.” Her voice came out ragged and breathless. “You’ve barely broke a sweat!”

                I let out a bitter laugh, shifting my gaze away from Cassandra’s. Little did she know, I was only used to running so much because after Mrs. Rosenfeld died, I ran for hours to try to escape the fact that if it weren’t for me, she would still be alive today.

                “Class is dismissed!” Coach White yelled, as all of the girls let out a breath of relief. “Go get changed!”

                We all rushed to the locker rooms to change out of our gym uniforms. The bell already rang, signaling that the next period had started. I was secretly satisfied that I had lunch after gym, because otherwise, I would be late to my next class.

“Are you coming to lunch today?” Cassandra asked, already waiting for me by the doors.

                I shook my head, giving her a small smile. “I don’t think so. I have to study for an English test next period.” I stared at the time on my phone. “Can you tell Max that I won’t make it today?”

                Cassandra nodded, as she gave me one last smile. “I’ll see you after school!” she waved, before disappearing at the corner.

                I began walking to the library, where I used to go for lunch every day before Max showed up to the school. As I was about to turn to the hallway where the library was located, someone placed their hand on my shoulder, stopping me from walking.

                Turning around, I faced three familiar girls. I recognize their faces from somewhere, but I couldn’t pinpoint where I had seen them, and what their names were. But, that wasn’t the point, because they weren’t looking at me with friendly expressions, especially the one pretty blonde one that was shooting daggers at me with her eyes.

                “You’re Riley Monroe, am I correct?” she asked, her voice low and uninviting.

               I pursed my lips, as I gulped nervously. “That’s me.” I whispered in a voice so low, I wasn’t sure if she could hear me. “Listen, I’ve got to go, can we talk another-“

                The blonde let out a malicious laugh, as she pushed me against the wall. My eyes widened, as she pressed my back against the wall forcefully. I finally took the time to notice that amongst her was another blonde, and one brunette. All three of them looked like they belonged in a fashion magazine advertisement.

                “Let’s settle something, okay?” she hissed in my ear. “I don’t know what the hell Everett ever saw in you, but I’m glad that he finally snapped in his senses and dumped your pathetic ass. But now, you’re messing with my best friend, Cassie. Back off of my friends and my boyfriend, got it?” Her face was inching closer to mine, as she stared at me with eyes dark and cloudy. When she realized that I was too scared to say anything, she let out a low chuckle, before her eyes glared into mine. “I said, got it?”