The Death of Me

Keefe POV: 

"Keefe Sencen, please come to the office immediately, Keefe Sencen." The nasal voice of our principal blared through the sound system, making me flinch.

I stood up slowly, taking my time. Every person I walked by on my way out seemed to scoot a little farther when I walked past them, but I kept my eyes forward and my head high, only turning it to flick some of my hair from my eyes. I walked through the door leading to the hallway of Rendall High. It didn't take long to reach the office, I had walked this route several times throughout the last four years. I knocked confidently on the wooded door but didn't wait for an answer before I pushed it open and walked into the familiar room. A used couch at once side, while several placards lined the walls. On the other side of the room, a long wooden desk that was cluttered with piles of paper, files, bobbleheads and pens. And sitting at the desk was the principal, Mr. Daxner, rapping his dirty fingernails slowly on the wood of the table. "Please take a seat, Mr.Sencen." He said, a hand towards the old wooden chair in front of his desk that looked like it was about to fall apart. I looked longingly at the couch but decided against arguing and sat gingerly on the chair. It shifted as if one leg was too short and I scowled. "Keefe. It has come to my attention that you have, once again, been causing trouble." As if to punctuate the sentence, the chair I was squatting on crashed to the floor and a leg snapped off with a loud 'crack'. I winced and rubbed where my elbow had slammed into the tile. 

I swore under my breath.

"Language, Mr.Sencen!"

I rolled my eyes. I could practically hear Mr. Daxner grinding his teeth in frustration. So, all in all, it was a pretty standard visit to the principal's office. I stood, kicking the trash chair to the side and fixed my gaze on the principal. "What did I do this time?"

Mr. Daxner pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a sigh so long that I was pretty sure he would shrivel up and die anytime now. "Have you or have you not been vandalizing the desks of our teachers here at Rendall high?"

I have. But it was a dare. And I would rather be taking stupid dares with random guys after school than go back home. "Um... I choose not to answer." 

A tiny grin fought its way onto my face as I thought back to the hilarious thing I wrote in Sharpie on my home room teacher's massive desk. 

"Keefe," Mr.Daxner sighed. "I know your home life is not in a great place."

I tensed and looked to the side of his head, purposefully avoiding eye contact. How did he know that? It wasn't his business at all. M. Daxner went on. "And I know that when children have it tough, it can take a toll on their personality. So that's why I thought it would be a good idea to... set you up with a positive influence, hmm?"

My scowl deepened. "What do you mean."

"You know Sophie Foster, right?"

Umm... stop right there. This was soooo not happening. "Foster?! Nuh-uh. I'm fine."

For the first time ever, principal Daxner revealed a small smile. Directed purely at me. Woah. "I simply want both of you to work together on writing the school paper. I know you take good pictures and she is a very capable writer. Together, you could not only create something interesting to read, but I believe it would benefit you greatly. Okay?"

"Um, hard pass."

Mr. Daxner's smile faded. "Mr. Sencen, this is not an option. I've already contacted your mom and she agrees with me."

"You sure she didn't drunk text you?" I asked, knowing I wasn't playing fair. But neither was he.

Mr. Daxner paused and looked at me with a frown. The sympathy on his face made me want to deliver a nice hit straight to the face. "I'm sure. And I happen to be able to get you a scholarship to a school that specializes in photography if you comply and agree to my terms."

My ears perked up at that and I said almost too quickly, "deal." Nobody- not even Sophie Foster was worth the loss of a scholarship over.

"Thank you!" Mr. Daxner said, looking relieved. "You are to meet in the arts room first period tomorrow."

"I get to miss class?" That was a bonus...

"You do. So please, take this job seriously."

I nodded slowly and turned around, waking out, not bothering to be excused. 

I would take it seriously, fine- but there was not a single cell in my body that didn't believe that Sophie Foster would be the death of me.