Chapter Thirty Five - Photos

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y f i v e

{Photos}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Jayden's POV

I tuck the only picture I have of my daughter into my wallet.

Not only does Ellie have my features, but she's also a spitting image of Olivia. Seeing Ellie brings back so many memories. I've been picturing her as a baby, but she's grown up, and it makes my heart tighten. I'm thankful Amelia gave me this picture.

"To making progress," Skylar raises her shot glass. I mimic her by raising mine. We clink glasses and swallow all of its content. I wave the bartender over for a refill.

We decided to get celebratory drinks at the hotel bar because of how well the dinner went. Although they didn't give me an answer about a relationship with Ellie, things are looking promising. I like the Parnell's, I really like them.

"What's going on up here?" Skylar gently taps on my temple.

I run my hands over my face. "This feels like a fever dream."

With the biggest grin, Skylar leans in and smashes her lips against mine, almost knocking me off my stool. I can tell the liquor is slowly taking over her body, it makes me chuckle.

"You're going to have to call Addy and tell her what happened. She's been blowing up my phone with questions." Skylar shows me her screen littered with messages.

"I'll call her. Do you want to head up?"

She nods, not knowing I ordered a bottle of champagne that's waiting for us in our room; along with another surprise.

Skylar has devoted so much time and energy to helping me these past months. She did not turn me away or judge. She consoled me when I needed it the most, and she let me have my moments.

She spoke so highly of me at dinner; I feel guilty. Guilty for the fact I dragged her into my mess. That when everything with her dad occurred, she didn't take time for herself. She brushed off their encounter like it was no big deal.

I know my guilt will fix nothing. Instead, I want to do more and make up for all the time she spent doting on me. It's my turn.

"I can't wait to get out of this dress, it's too tight." She groans, wiggling around in the elevator like she has an itch.

I tug at the strap. "It will be off soon enough." My words stop her fidgeting. She looks at me with those big, beautiful eyes and I know it's game over. The moment we step foot in our room, she's going to pounce.

Just as I predict, the door is barely closed, and her mouth is on mine. I don't take it easy. I part her lips with my tongue the first chance I get. My shoulders instantly droop from the sweet relief the taste of her lips brings.

I kiss down her neck until I hit the ticklish spot that always makes her laugh. "Jay," she warns, looking me directly in the eyes. I smile and kiss the tip of her nose.

She stumbles toward the bed to sit, but finds a large bouquet and chilled champagne in her spot. "What the—Jayden! Did you do this?"

"Had some help, but yes, it's all for you."

She lowers her eyes, placing her hands on her hips. "But why?"

I was not expecting that reaction. I sit on the bed, facing her, so she's between my parted legs. I hold her waist, and she drapes her arms over my shoulders. "Because you're my girlfriend, and boyfriends get things for their girlfriends."