The Unexpected Visit

Kara's POV

Waking up can be really harsh, especially if your dreams are better than reality. The saddest part of it is, though, that eventually, even the memory of your dream will fade - if you are even lucky enough to remember it that is. Then you're left with this lonely feeling of detachment, left to explore in the empty void of emotions, the only proof that you ever had the dream, to begin with.

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncovered my face. I blinked, closed my eyes, and blinked again. Streaks of sunlight penetrated the window and blinded me. I sat up, dragged my feet off the bed, and rubbed my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretched my arms above my head and yawned. I watched my legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.

As I was getting used to the lights and a bunch of noises from the city, someone knocked on my door. I use my x-ray vision to see who it was and in my utter surprise to find Lena.

What is she doing here this early? was all I could ask myself

I went straight to open the door wondering what she was doing at my apartment

"Lenaa...what a surprise to see you, I wasn't expecting to see you this early," I stated sounding surprised

"Kara it's almost lunch" Lena pointed out

"What?" I asked sounding flabbergasted

"Did you just wake up?" she asked

"Yeah, I must have overslept" I answered

"So, are you going to invite me to..?" Lena asked

"Uh yeah, sorry. Come in"

"Want something to drink? coffee? tea? water?"

"Coffee please"

"Coffee coming right up"

After making us coffee, I set two cups on the table as I walked myself to the couch.

"So what brings you here this particular time?" I asked her 

"I uh...I need to tell you something"

"Okay...what is it?"

"I have been trying to tell you but I haven't had the perfect moment to tell you, I guess I'm just afraid of what will happen but I know I have to, for my sake and yours, I think" 

"Lena, what is it?"

"Kara, we have been friends, best friends for a long time now and I uh...every time I'm with you, i get this feeling, feelings that used to confuse me but after some time I came to understand them, but they are feelings beyond my reach and every time I spend with you, they grow stronger and stronger, but I can't push them away any longer just because of fear. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like you, I have feelings for you, feelings that are beyond friendship and I know this is selfish because I know you are giving James a chance but I had to tell you even if you don't feel the same way anymore. But I still hope that we will be friends because I don't want to lose you, you are the most important person in my life and I don't want to lose that. And you probably..."

Before Lena could finish her sentence, I cupped her cheeks and connected our lips together. I must have gotten her by surprise because after a couple of seconds she kissed me back and Rao her taste was different, she tasted different, different from everyone else I had ever kissed.

After some time we had to pull apart to catch our breaths.

"Wow" was all she could make out of her lips

"Yeah, WOW!" I replied

"You are not being selfish Lena, I'm glad you told me"

"Yeah?" Lena asked just to make sure she heard me right

"Yeah" I assured her

"But what about James?" she asked

"I wanted to give James a chance, but I couldn't do it"

"Can I ask why?"

"Giving him a chance, meant giving him my time, space, heart & soul and I don't think that's possible. It would have been a one-sided relationship and that's not fair, for James and me. Besides he was the one that told me that, if my heart wasn't with him then I shouldn't be wasting time trying to love him instead of following my heart"

"He said that?" 

Flashback to James and Kara's conversation

James: Well dinner was nice..

Kara: Yeah it was

James: Kara, can I ask you something?

Kara: Sure, go right ahead

James: Why are you going out with me?

Kara:  What do you mean?

James: I mean, why are you going on a date with me? I can tell you don't like me as i like you. Your body has been here the entire night but your mind is somewhere else...

Kara: I'm sorry James, it's just...

James: It's okay Kara. I just don't understand why you are not with the one person you love

Kara: I have many reasons, which is why I'm giving us a chance, we might find something special without even looking

James: But Kara, you love someone else and you know it. Why don't you want to tell her that you love her?

Kara: How do you know that?

James: I'm not blind Kara. The way you two look at each other says it all. 

James: What are you so afraid of? I mean you are the girl of steel and she is a damn CEO who owns two companies, you two can pretty much do anything together.

Kara: I don't know what is holding me back...I guess I'm just afraid that when I finally have her in my arms, I'll drop her or lose her. I'm afraid that loving her means putting her in danger...

James: Kara you have to believe that you'll be there when she needs you because I know you will just like how you've always been here for me, for Alex, Sam, Brainy, Nia and everyone else. You have to put your fears aside and believe that you can have it all.

Kara: I really wanted to give me and you a chance to explore together

James: Listen to me Kara, if your heart isn't with me, you shouldn't be here wasting time trying to like me or love me, you need to follow your damn big heart.

End of Flashback

"Well I'm happy you are here with me" Lena proudly stated

"Yeah me too" I added

"Lee, can I ask you something?"

"Go right ahead and ask your question darling" she answered

I could feel my face heat up when she called me 'darling' but i soon regained composure when i remembered I was about to ask her a question.

"Earlier you said, "I had to tell you even if you don't feel the same way anymore" what did you mean by that?"

"Well, I uh...I already knew you have feelings for me"

"What do you mean? How did you know? I've never told you, I only told Alex.

But that's when it hit me, the other night when I thought she was asleep, maybe she wasn't.