Chapter 8: Unexpected guest

The next day, Catherine and I woke up early to prepare ourselves for the ball tonight. In this school they had a rule where no noble was allowed to bring a servant and everyone must learn to be independent.

Most nobles complained about this rule but they never changed it. I didn't mind since I had always been independent in my previous life so this wasn't hard for me. I prepared the bath for Catherine and I, pouring rose essential oil into it.

After we took a bath, we helped each other to tighten the corsets before wearing our dresses for tonight. Catherine wore a light purple lace dress that clung to her body perfectly, showing how beautiful the body was. Going with the dress, her makeup wasn't too heavy.

"You are really good at picking dresses Lily!" Catherine praised me as she checked herself out in front of the full body mirror.

I giggled, happy about the praise. "That's because your body suits every dress I pick for you."

Catherine turned to me and gasped, "You look beautiful Lily."

I wore a dark blue off shoulder dress. It had an open slit on my right thigh which made moving and dancing easier to do. Although it was quite mature, it suited me very well as it hugged my body well. Adding to it, I wore some long earrings along with a necklace that Phillip had once gifted to me on my birthday. I wore my makeup just like Catherine's, not on the heavy side.

Spraying some perfume on both of us, we were now done. Checking the clock one last time, we then left our room and headed out of the girls' dorm building to where the boys were waiting for us.

"You both took your time again." Phillip spoke once he saw our figures heading towards them.

"We came right on time." I talked back, showing them I was right.

Phillip shook his head and showed his watch, "Yours is slow."

"No yours is fast!"

"Guys, I know you want to fight each other but we got a ball to attend." Catherine stopped us in time before we started bickering.

I glared at Phillip while he just stuck his tongue out before we finally headed to where the ball was held at. Even before walking into the ballroom where the ball was held, many nobles already came up to the four of us, trying to strike up a conversation to be on our good side.

When we arrived at the ball, not long later the principal of the school walked in from an entrance above the ball. He gave his speech as the principal which took a very long time. I had to restrain myself from yawning.

"Lastly, have fun at tonight's ball. This is a warm welcome to all first years starting their studies here." the principal said with a warm smile before disappearing.

At cue, the music started playing. Phillip took my hand and brought me into the dancing circle. In every event, Phillip has to be the first person I dance with as he was my fiance.

"You look different today." Phillip said, trying to start a conversation with me as we danced to the music.

I grinned, "Wow you noticed?"

I could see Phillip wanting to roll his eyes at my comment but had to hold himself back as we were in public, "It's hard not to. Your look this time is more mature than before."

I nodded, "Of course, we're already at the age of an adult here."

"You do look nice though." Phillip commented making me almost stumble.

"How surprising to hear the crown prince compliment my looks tonight." I chuckled.

Phillip lightly scoffed, "I can compliment when I want to."

"I know, it's just surprising." I smiled.

Of course I knew he could. In the book, he was a sweet loving lover to the heroine. He would always compliment her and praise her endlessly. Although he does get possessive, it wasn't often. Just a normal lover getting jealous.

"Why? Do you want me to compliment you more?" he teased, leaning closer to my face.

I laughed, stepping on his foot. "Don't need it."

He glared at me as his foot stung from my revenge. The first song of the night slowly came to an end and we parted our hold of each other.

"Phillip I'm going to get a drink, do you want one?" I asked, feeling thirsty after the dance.

He nodded, "Yeah."

"Alright, I will get one for you." I walked away to where all the drinks were at and grabbed two.

Deciding to make my trip a bit longer before I headed back to Phillip, I slowly sipped on the drink, feeling refreshed from it. In the end, I finished my drink faster than expected.

'I'll just bring his then.' I thought to myself as I left the drink area in search of Phillip.

Walking around, greeting any noble I knew or greeted me, I continued to search for a tall man with blonde hair. Turning to the right, I noticed Phillip standing not far from where I was. I started making my way to him when I noticed he was speaking to someone.

Curious, I sneakily tried to see who it was. A girl with short brown hair with emerald colour eyes. My eyes widened in horror, my whole body freezing up. Everything around me seemed to have slowed down as my eyes continued to stare at both Phillip and her.

"L-Lucy Pratt?" I shakily whispered to myself.

Why was the heroine here? She was supposed to be here in our last year of school. I turned to Phillip, he was casually talking to her and even laughing. I took in a deep breath. As much as I don't want to, I had to go there.

"Ye-"

"Your highness, your drink." I cut her off as I walked over with the drink Phillip had asked me to get for him.

"Miss Lucy, this is my fiancee, Lilyana Kimberleye." Phillip introduced me to her.

I bowed and showed her a smile, "Good evening."

"G-good evening, Lady Lilyana!" she said, clumsily bowing at me.

I could hear a few ladies around us, snickering at her but I pretended I didn't hear anything.

"She was recently brought in by Baron Pratt." Phillip explained, not knowing I knew everything.

I nodded and sent Lucy another smile, "It is nice to meet you Lady Lucy."

"Yes..." she smiled before glancing over at Phillip. He noticed this and showed her a smile causing her to blush.

I felt a sickening feeling in my stomach. Then someone called Lucy out.

"Tch why now?" I hear her mumble under her breath and for a split second her facial expression turns cold before returning back to normal.

"Pardon me your highness, Lady Lilyana. Someone is calling for me." she said, bowing once more before walking away, not forgetting to glance over at Phillip.

I continued gazing at her figure until it disappeared into the crowd. Something is up with her. Especially when she was now here two years earlier.

"We should look for Cath and Blaive, Phil-" I turned to Phillip who was quiet.

I noticed him, still staring at the direction Lucy had left, his gaze seemed dazed as well. I looked away, my right hand tightly squeezing my other hand. It felt like cold water was splashed onto my face and body. Just like the story, Phillip was already falling for her. Nothing will be different from the story. Phillip and I were never meant to cross paths.

Once again, I am reminded that I am in a story.

---

Author's note: Tomorrow I won't be posting because of some college work so once again I'm posting one day earlier ~(˘▾˘~) stay safe during this time!!