Chapter 29 - So Close

COURTNEY's POV

What the hell happened?

I watched him as he passed by our table and acted as if he didn't see me, or didn't even know me. I even flashed him as small smile, but he just carried on walking and settled in three tables away from mine together with his friend, his back facing me.

Purposely?

Maybe.

I racked my brain and tried to recall the things happened during our date and up to this day. It's Wednesday, and I'd been clueless since Monday.

But everything was so perfect.

I said to myself as I remember how he'd been so sweet and thoughtful.

The lasagna, the picture, and most importantly, the gladiolus flowers.

I continued to watch him, his shoulders shaking in fits of laughter. His friend might have said something funny to made him laugh that way.

What if he was laughing at me? What if they're talking about how smitten I was during that date? What if that date was just a set up?

I tried my very best to shake off those thoughts. No, Chad wouldn't do that. He's not like that.

"Hey," Terry called me out of my reverie. "You okay?"

I shook my head sideways and let out a heavy sigh. There's no use of lying to her and to myself anyway. I didn't realize that it's only Terry and I were left in our table. So I took this opportunity and told her what happened during that perfect weekend and all of a sudden—this, I didn't even know what this is, happened.

"Are you sure you didn't do or say something to make him feel that way?"

"I'm so clueless." I admitted. "I tried to recall everything, step-by-step, moments per moments, but nothing. It's all sweet and Ter..." I paused and put my hand to my chest where my heart lies. "Ter, it was perfect."

She looked past me, as if eyeing Chad's table, before she turned back to me. "If everything was so perfect, how come you..."

I shrugged. I didn't even let her finish.

"I think I should talk to him." I hate not knowing anything. I hate this feeling. I need answers.

"Now?" She raised her right brow and gave me a disbelieving look.

"What? Are you going to lecture me that what I'm about to do is social suicide?" I asked her with a challenging tone. "Look, Ter. I am Courtney Collins. I can talk to whoever I want and whenever I want to." I hissed, but in a hushed tone.

I stood up, but Terry pulled me down. "Yes, you are the Courtney Collins who can do whatever she wants, fine, but don't forget that you're the same Courtney who just broke up with the school's star football player." She raised her brows to me. I was about to say that I didn't care, but as if she was reading what I have in mind, she leaned closer and whispered. "Words are out, Court. It's a rumor for now, but nobody dared to confirm it. All eyes are on you since Troy is still in camp. Nobody knows the reason for the sudden break up, and you going after Chad in front of the half of the people in the school, sends something."

My eyes travelled to where Chad was seated, I wanted to defend myself to Terry and reason out that what I was about to do was to talk to him, that's all. But what she said next made me convince that I shouldn't. "Troy may not be here, but he can still destroy your Chad if given the chance. So if you want a repeat of those tormenting days," She learned back and crossed her arms. "Then be my guest." She finished with a challenging tone.