🧸thirteen🧸

The sky was a beautiful blue with soft cotton candy clouds scattered around. The air was refreshing and not too hot. Of course, Jaemin wouldn't let a good day go to waste.

The group walked over to a nearby park to fulfill their promise with Jisung. They formed a straight line with Haneul in the front leading the baby chicks and Jaemin watching from the back.

Haemin clapped his hands, calling the attention of the children. "Okay children, what's the rules of the park?"

"Rule number one is safety first." Donghyuck proudly answered.

"Rule number two, follow the buddy system." Jisung mumbled, raising his and Chenle's intertwined hands.

"Rule number three, don't talk to strangers and go outside the park without permission." Jeno finished off.

"Good job for remembering." Jaemin complimented. He let the kids run around as he and Haneul took a spot under the shade of a tree. "This is a really good place. Not much people, but just enough to keep you comfortable."

Haneul nodded, fixing the picnic blanket Jaemin had prepared. She zoned out into her thoughts of the day before. She barely had even a wink of sleep from thinking.

At some point, she had forgotten that this set up was all temporary. Once they fix everything and the boys return to normal she'll be all alone again. She didn't know if she was ready to let the go but it would be so selfish to keep them this way.

As much as she didn't want to admit it, deep down, she didn't Jaemin to leave the most. They didn't have a great start, but she wouldn't trade what they have now for anything. He had made such an impact on her and helped her so much.

"Haneul?"

Haneul snapped out of her thoughts and looked over at Jaemin. "Yes?"

"Has the spaceship landed or are you still out of earth?" Jaemin joked. He handed her a fork and placed the Tupperware of sliced watermelons before her. "Watermelon for your thoughts?"

"You." She spoke before thinking it through. Her eyes widened as a blush dusted her cheeks. "I mean, you and the kids. About how when this whole situation ends."

"I'll get really busy that's for sure. Life as an idol is full of sacrifices but really pays off." Jaemin said, looking up at the sky. "Although, I'll miss things like this."

Haneul raised a brow. "Things like?"

"Normal people things." He answered. "Going to places without gathering attention, not being followed around, being able to meet up with people without causing issues, and..."

The girl was mid bite into her watermelon when he trailed off. Jaemin looked hesitant to continue, but he knew the suspense would bother her so much.

"And I'll miss you. Well, being with you I guess?" He continued. "Every time I look up at the sky I'll miss you more."

The girl dropped her fork, his words sending jitters throughout her body and straight to her heart. She clutched her chest, the foreign overwhelming feeling alarming her.

"Is something wrong?" Jaemin asked, sitting up.

"My heart's beating really hard." Haneul answered, voice almost a whisper.

Jaemin frowned and put her hand in his. His thumb rubbed the back of her hand soothingly. "Is there too many people? Does it make you uncomfortable?"

"I don't know." She mumbled, averting her gaze. Not able to take it, she pulled her hand away and excused herself before he could ask another thing. She headed straight for the public restrooms and washed her face.

What's wrong with me?

Haneul's mind goes back to her conversation with Mrs. Kang. She could not be catching feelings. She looked into the mirror to see her red cheeks.

"You just feel attached because he's here for you. You just feel happy because he's cares." She paused, making a realization. "I'm overthinking this again."

Meanwhile, Jaemin was left confused. He wondered if he had said anything wrong or if he picked the wrong park to go to.

"Hyung!" Chenle called, toddling over to Jaemin. He pulled on the fabric of Jaemin's jeans and pointing over at the slide. "Jisung scared."

Jaemin followed Chenle to the slides and saw Jisung standing at the top of one of the slides. He hugged the railing for dear life as his legs shook like a new born fawn.

"I can't do it!" Jisung cried, face red and wet from his crying. He was hysterical as he cried for help. "Hyung save me!"

"He climbed up with me but couldn't go down. I thought we were sliding together but he just stayed." Chenle explained.

Jaemin just sighed and sat down in front of the end of the slide. "Hyung will catch you when you slide."

Jisung shook his head vigorously. He refused to go down the slide no matter what negotiation the older boy made with him.

The pink haired boy let go of Chenle's hand and climbed to the top where Jisung was. The boy instantly jumped into his arms and sobbed into Jaemin's chest.

"Hyung is here now. Don't cry." Jaemin comforted. "Even when you're a kid you get scared easily."

"What's going on?" Haneul questioned, rejoining the group.

"Jisung scaredy cat." Chenle teased. The two boys slid down the slide, Jaemin covering Jisung's eyes so he wouldn't be scared.

Jisung hopped down from his arms and went to go hug Chenle. The pair ran to the resting shade to enjoy a juice box while Haneul and Jaemin followed after. The girl noticed the stares from people who passed by and felt the discomfort.

Haneul slowly took Jaemin's pinky into her grasp. He chuckled at her shy gesture and took her hand fully into his.

"Holding my hand really helps?" Jaemin grinned.

"I um... just.... uh... shut up." Haneul stammered, looking away. His very presence was calming to her and the physical reassurance kept her nerves at bay. It kept her grounded.

"Baby chicks!" Jisung exclaimed, pointing over to the chicks that followed Donghyuck and Mark. The two best friends happily skipped to the resting shade.

"Look noona! We made friends!" Donghyuck boasted.

"Do we have bread to feed them?" Mark asked.

While the group was busy, Haneul noticed a teary Renjun running up to them. He ran straight into her side and hugged her. "Renjun? What's wrong?"

"Jeno..." Renjun started.

"What about Jeno? Where's your brother?"

He looked up to her with wide terrified eyes.

"He's missing!"

A/N

Uh oh anyone ready for the Jeno Search Party?

Thoughts about the development so far?