chapter twelve

---

---

I had finally got enough control of my new powers to the point where Nat wasn't bugging me every second. I was no longer under almost 24/7 watch to make sure I didn't wake up half destroying my room. 

It was actually a relief to not have her checking on my every five minutes, even if she tried to do it discreetly, forgetting that I was taught everything she was. It was worse when she sent Steve to check on her, after telling him what happened because he was even less discreet. 

Wanda too was gaining control, learning how to use her powers to their full extent. I refused to stop training her so after a lot of convincing, Nat and Steve let me continue our lessons.

"It's girls night," I announced, as I entered Wanda's room. 

She looked up from the book in her hand, "What?" 

"Well, we eat junk food, watch tv and movies and talk shit," I explained, dumping the bags I held in my hands onto her bed. "This is the junk food."

Wanda placed her book on her bedside table and moved up. 

"We can order Chinese as well," I added, sitting next to her. 

---

Wanda was asleep next to me, having fallen asleep halfway through the movies. I turned the TV off as the credits started to roll, grabbing the rubbish that had accumulated on her bed. I quickly threw it into the small bin sat by the untouched desk in her room. I pulled the blanket over her before sneaking it, making sure I didn't wake her. 

I made my way to my own room, bumping into Steve on the way. 

He frowned, "Anya, are you alright?"

"Yeah, Wanda fell asleep during our movie night, so I left her to sleep," I explained. 

He smiled slightly, "So, you're friends now then?"

"We became friends after we stopped Ultron," I revealed. I rolled my eyes as he seemed to become slightly smug. "Yeah, I know, you kept pushing us together, whatever. You knew we'd become friends or some shit."

"I knew you needed a friend your age," he corrected. 

I rolled my eyes again, "I guess I should say thanks. So, thanks, Grandpa."

I began walking away before he called out. 

"Is there anything you want to or need to tell me?" He questioned. "About you?"

I shook my head, "No, nothing. Apart from the new powers, there's nothing else."

He nodded before he turned and walked away. 

I frowned as I continued on my way. I changed and got into bed, confused as to what Steve had been talking about. I shrugged it off, trying to sleep. 

---

I woke up the next morning to a phone call. I groaned, checking the caller ID. It was Laura. 

"Hey, Laura," I greeted. 

"Hey, Anya, did I wake you?" She questioned. 

I sat up, "No, no, I'm just tired, that's all."

"So, I heard from a little birdie, that you and a certain new member of the Avengers are getting close," she spoke. I could hear the amusement in her voice.

"What birdie? Nat?" 

"How'd you guess?"

"She's the only one here that talks to you," I replied. 

"Okay, fair enough. After what you told me when you were here, I just thought that-" She cut herself off. There was a pause as she thought over her next words. "That maybe there was something there."

"If you're asking if she's gay, that's not my place to tell you, Laura," I answered, avoiding the question. 

"I know that. But do you maybe like her?"

I sighed. She wasn't going to give up. 

"Laura, I barely talk to Nat about how I'm feeling," I told. "And relationships are the last thing on my mind."

"I just thought talking about this would take your mind off of everything that happened with the seizures," she admitted. 

"I appreciate that, Laura. But I'm fine. I'm always fine," I reassured. 

She sighed, "Liar but I'm not gonna push you."

"Thanks."

"But do you like her?"

"Laura!"

"But do you?"

"Yes," I blurted. "Wait, fuck, no, I mean no."

"Anya," she exclaimed. "This is so great."

I shook my head, "No, it's not. I don't know what to do."

"Why don't you ask her out? Or find out if she likes girls first?" She asked. 

I sighed, "Listen, Laura, I got to go, I have training soon."

I knew I shouldn't have lied to her, but I wasn't really in the mood to talk about Wanda. Or my feelings. 

"Okay, well, I'll call you soon. And Anya, if she doesn't like you back, she's missing out," she comforted or at least attempted to. 

Yeah, she's missing out on a killer. 

"Thanks, Laura. Bye."

I didn't wait for a reply, I just hung up, throwing my phone to the end of my bed. It didn't matter if I liked Wanda or not. I wasn't exactly girlfriend material, the exact opposite, more likely.