THIRTY-EIGHT

Oh no! We're almost at the end!!!!

"Are you ready yet?" Biana asked Sophie as she met her at Sophie's house that afternoon. "And I thought I took a long time to get ready."

Sophie rolled her eyes as she made sure her hair looked good before she walked out of her bathroom. "It's not my fault I overslept."

Biana sighed. "Whatever—you look great. Now, are you ready to see your best friends graduate?"

"Not really," Sophie said, not even believing that they'd be going to college.

"Me neither," Biana said with a shrug. "But we have to be there for support—just like at the football games."

Sophie laughed. "Alright—let's do this thing."

Sophie was taking Biana to Fitz and Keefe's graduation ceremony, and they'd both dressed in knee-length dresses for the occasion.

"Oh, and my parents are holding an after-party for all the seniors and their friends," Biana said as they got in Sophie's car. "You're coming, right?"

Sophie bit her lip as they drove away from her house. "I don't know—it might be a little weird."

Biana let out an exasperated sigh as she rolled her eyes. "Sophie, you and Fitz haven't talked to each other in weeks, I'm sure you're both fine now."

It was true, Sophie was fine—plus, she'd worked with Fitz on a paper last week and they were both fine—but she was still a little worried.

Sophie sighed. "Fine. I'll only go because it means so much to the rest of the Seniors."

They drove in silence for a little bit before Sophie said, "So I know that Keefe wants to be an artist, but what's Fitz going to college for?"

"He wants to be an actor." Biana told her as they pulled into the parking lot of the school. "He's always been great in front of the camera."

Sophie nodded as they got out of the car and she locked it. "Do you know what you're going to do yet? Last I remember, you wanted to be pretty much everything."

Biana laughed. "I think I'm in between actress or model." She told her as they two of them headed into the amphitheater and sat in the third row. "Then when I retire I'll make outfits."

Sophie nodded. "Sounds like a half-way solid plan."

Biana grinned, and after a minute Dex, Tam, Linh, Jensi, Maruca, Wylie, Alvar, Della, and Alden all joined them on the third row.

Their group was filled with tons of discussions—and they were probably the loudest people in the room.

After an hour of sitting in that room, Mr. Leto came on stage with a microphone. Everyone went quiet as he raised his hands.

"Welcome to this year's Senior graduation ceremony," He began. "Thank you all for coming, and I want to thank all the parents for helping your child reach this point. Please stand as our graduates enter,"

After only a second, a door opened and all the Seniors came in dressed in black gowns. Their caps had orange and white tassels on them so it basically screamed Foxfire.

They all got on stage and stood there as stiff as bricks. It was a little unnerving.

Some old people also came onstage and announced a bunch of boring stuff before the mic was handed back to Mr. Leto.

"When I call your name, please come to get your degree," He said with a smile.

The names were called in surname alphabetical order, so it was a while before Keefe and Fitz got called.

But when Mr. Leto finally said, "Keefe Sencen. Keefe is majoring in fine arts to become a concept artist," their whole group screamed their heads off—Sophie was even sure she heard someone wave around a cow-bell. "Keefe wears the golden tassel to signify Special Honors."

Keefe smirked as he walked across the stage and grabbed his diploma. Sophie noticed that indeed he had a golden tassel next to his orange and whites ones.  He shook Mr. Leto's hand before waving to the crowd as if he were famous.

After another fifty names were called, Mr. Leto said, "Our Valedictorian: Fitz Vacker. Fitz is majoring in acting to become a movie actor."

Their group cheered once again as Fitz walked across the stage with his Valedictorian stole—along with the mysterious cow-bell—and soon the boring part of the ceremony was over.

Another old guy came over and thanked everyone once again before he asked the graduates to exit the amphitheater.

After the graduates had left the room, everyone followed out. There was tons of noise outside, but it stopped when someone yelled, "We graduated!" And they all threw their caps in the air.

Sophie went to go find Keefe, but before she could someone yelled, "Lizards!"

Suddenly there was an uproar around them and tons of lizards were crawling all over the ground.

And Sophie knew exactly who had let lizards loose.

"You just had to go out with a bang, didn't you?" Sophie asked with a laugh.

Keefe grinned. "Of course," He told her, wrapping her in a hug. "Thanks for being here Foster."

"Where else would I be?" She asked.

Before Keefe answered, someone cleared their throat behind them.

Sophie and Keefe turned around to see Mr. Sencen standing a foot away from them.

Keefe's eyes widened. "D-dad?!" He exclaimed. "What're you doing here?"

Keefe's dad glowered at Keefe. "You really thought I'd miss my only son's graduation?"

"You missed my birthday," Keefe mumbled with a shrug.

Keefe's dad shook his head and rubbed his temples very hard. "Can I talk to you privately?" He asked.

Keefe rolled his eyes, but nodded. "Be right back Foster,"

Sophie nodded and watched Keefe and his dad disappear into the crowd, wishing she could follow them.

"Are you ready for the party?" Biana asked, grabbing Sophie's hand and yanking Sophie out of the crowd of people. "Everyone's heading over there—and you're my ride."

Sophie nodded, even though she felt really bad about leaving Keefe alone with his dad. "Yeah, I'm ready,"

Sophie and Biana made their way to Sophie's car and got in. Sophie started her car and backed out of the parking lot before getting on the main road and driving to the Vacker's house.

Biana talked on and on about Fitz and Keefe and the boring graduation cap and gowns as they drove. But Sophie wasn't really paying attention.

She was mostly worried about Keefe being with his dad.

Sophie sighed as she parked them in the driveway of the Vacker's house. "I hope he's okay,"