THIRTY-NINE

When they got to the backyard, there were already people there. They were all either talking, eating, or swimming in the lake. Everyone looked like they were having fun, and Sophie couldn't help but smile as she took it all in.

"Come on," Biana said, dragging her back into the house and into her room. She handed Sophie the gray, one-piece bathing suit and overdress that Sophie had used last time she'd swam in the lake at the Vackers.

Sophie rolled her eyes as she changed into it. When she came out, Biana was dressed in a blush pink, two-piece bathing suit with a silky pink overdress.

"Are you ready?" She asked, throwing Sophie a white towel.

Sophie grabbed the towel—almost falling over in the process—and nodded before the two of them headed down to the lake.

§§§

"Hey Sophie, can I talk to you?"

Sophie turned around from where she was soaking her feet in the lake to see Fitz standing behind her.

"Sure," She said, getting up and following him to the side of the yard that was empty. "What's up?" She asked when they'd stopped under a shady tree.

It wasn't as awkward as she thought it would be, but it wasn't as normal as he hoped it would be.

"Well," He said. "I'm sorry that I didn't say this sooner, but I'm sorry. Biana said that you were hurt afterwards."

Sophie's face turned hot as she shook her head. "You don't have to apologize—I was just overwhelmed with too many emotions in one day. But I'm fine now."

Fitz nodded, and it was quiet for a while before he chuckled and said, "If it makes you feel any better, I was a little emotional afterwards as well."

Sophie let out a small laugh. "It does make me feel a bit better that I wasn't suffering alone."

They both laughed before Fitz asked, "Have you told Keefe yet?"

Sophie groaned as her face flushed red once again. "I can't believe I'm talking about this stuff with my ex."

Fitz shrugged as a laugh escaped his lips. "Hey—I just want to see you happy."

Sophie sighed. "No, I haven't told him yet—but I don't even know what college he's going to. What if it's all the way in another country?"

Fitz bit his lip. "It's not in another country, but it's a good ways away."

Sophie blinked. "Wait—what? Where's he going?"

Fitz sighed. "He's going to SCAD—Savannah College of Art and Design."

"Savannah—as in, all the way in Georgia?" Sophie asked, not believing it.

Fitz nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. "He didn't want me to tell you, but it didn't seem right."

Sophie's mouth hung open. "What college are you going to?"

"Pepperdine University," He said.

"That's in Malibu, right?" She asked.

Fitz nodded. "It's only five hours away."

Sophie blinked. "Georgia's, like, forty hours from here." Sophie groaned, running a hand down her face.

"Keefe would rather be in California, but he got a full-ride to SCAD and his dad said that if he didn't take it, he wouldn't pay for any other school he wanted to go to."