Chapter 31

The courthouse loomed over much of the city street, tall and foreboding, sending a shiver of uncertainty racing through me. Today would see an end to the stress of worrying about what Andrew was going to do.

Squeezing Rhett's hand I moved carefully up the stairs, my back twinging in pain. Cameras flashed, reporters trying to shove their way toward us. Ever since Andrew had submitted his article about male pregnancies only to have my claim to the serum overrule it, I'd been bombarded by reporters. They'd thrown a celebrity status at me, everyone wanting to see 'The First Omega.'

Dreece moved to my other side, leaving me sandwiched between them and Rhett for some protection. They were my constant companion and friend, always there for me.

Even Nathan was there with Abram, ready to offer support and present to the court the facts about when I'd become pregnant if necessary. He hadn't forgiven me, but things had become more relaxed over time. Abram seemed to be warming up to me as well on the rare occasion I saw them outside of appointments.

Michael waited for us at the top of the building, having arrived earlier with Lucas. As soon as we made it to the top, his arms wrapped around me, the lingering smell of coffee warming the air.

"Everything is going to work out," Michael said softly, holding me for a few more moments. He pulled away with a smile, tears making his eyes shine. "Lucas is inside, but Andrew and his lawyer haven't arrived yet if you want to get settled."

"Yes, please. I don't want to see him outside of the courtroom." I replied softly. Rhett's arm wrapped around me, guiding me through the doors. Another twinge of pain raced up my back, making me stiffen for a moment.

"You alright Ryan?" Rhett asked softly, his lips brushing against my ear as he spoke. There was no real need to whisper, but the intimacy of the gesture practically made me purr.

"I'm good, just a little back pain," I reassured him softly, turning and lightly kissing his cheek. "I'll be even better once all of this is over with."

"True that." A familiar voice said from up ahead, Lucas striding toward us and wrapping Michael in his arms. Lucas toward over the twink, setting his chin on Michael's head with a grin. "The sooner this is over the better. Maybe we will get lucky and the other party won't show at all."

"Maybe," I smiled back at Lucas nodding. My back spasmed again, drawing a small gasp from my lips.

"Let's get you seated," Rhett said, his grip around my waist tightening as we moved toward our assigned courtroom. It was blissfully empty, the hungry horde of news reporters being held at bay outside. The results of this case would most likely be plastered on every paper and television before the night was out.

Our group had just gotten settled when the door crashed open, Andrew strolling in as if he owned the place. He took his time moving to their own table and seats, his eyes roving openly over my body.

A shudder raced up my spine, echoed by another painful spasm, making me close my eyes. A hand gently grabbed my shoulder, drawing my attention to the row of seats behind me.

"Are you feeling alright?" Nathan asked softly, concern clear in his expression. "You're very close to your due date Ryan. This kind of stress..."

"I'm fine. My back just hurts." I mumbled, hoping to hide just how much I hurt from everyone in the room.

"Alright..." Nathan watched me wearily, not buying my excuse it would seem. "If the pain gets worse or anything changed you need to let me know. You will need a cesarean as quickly as possible once you start going into labor since your body can't naturally deliver this baby."