•C h a p t e r S e v e n t e e n•

Song for chapter seventeen: State of Grace by Taylor Swift

|Skyler|

I stepped into Aden's apartment as he shut the door behind us. Aden had asked to hang out tonight as friends with no homework or studying involved, to my surprise. Aunt Claire was all for it because apparently I spent too much time at home.

"I can start on dinner," Aden said. He tossed his keys onto the table in front of us, shrugging off his jacket and hanging it onto the coat rack. I did the same. "I promise it won't be eggs this time," he smirked.

"And you promise you won't mess up my hair?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"No promises for that," he looked at me with a mischievous smile and winked. My heart skipped a beat but I covered it up with an eye roll.

It was nearing six in the evening since I'd basically sprinted home after school and jumped into the shower before throwing on a new change of clothes. Aden had soccer practice so at least that bought me enough time to scramble something together.

It was hard finding something perfect, after all, I wanted to look good for Aden, but I didn't want him to know I was looking good for him. I ended up leaving my wavy hair down, and I threw on a pair of black skinny jeans and grey wool sweater.

I took a seat on the couch when my eyes caught sight of a guitar sitting at the corner of the room. It hadn't been there the last time I was here and the black leather case was dusty as if it hadn't been touched in years.

"Who does this belong to?" I called to Aden, who was digging out groceries from the fridge.

Aden glanced over at me pointing to the guitar and a his lips twitched upwards, "It's my dad's, he used to play it for my mom, but he doesn't play anymore."

"Well, you never really stop playing an instrument. It's hard to forget it after you learn it," I shrugged to myself, walking towards it. "May I?"

He nodded, "You play?" He couldn't hide his surprised tone.

"Always the tone of surprise," I teased, a crooked smile spreading over my lips that he returned. The smile dissipated within moments as I sighed. "I did play for a while. I left my guitar back in Canada though, in my old house," I added quietly as I opened up the old, dusty case.

My mom was the one who tried to get me to learn to play it since she had some dream that I'd become super famous country artist one day. She signed me up for lessons and even bought me a standard sized guitar that was way too big for me. I learned to play pretty well in the end at least, so her money never went to waste.