6

Harper insisted I stayed for dinner. I met the family, or some as Harper mentioned. I notice how every man from Julians had a seat around the table.

Or fail to notice Harper on edge sitting next to Xavier. I'll ask her about that later. Besides that the energy was carefree and happy.

Enjoying each other's company they talked and laughed. Something I don't think anyone on the outside of the mafia would think.

Where were the ruthless attitudes and guns?
Everyone was having their own small conversations at the big table.

Sitting on the left of me. Stefano ate in silence. Three chairs down and even I could feel the heat of his gaze. I was too afraid to look up.

Especially after the third time of catching his gaze. Once I did something in me didn't want to look away.

I met his and Harpers parents. Their mother expressed how happy she was that Harper finally brought a friend of hers to meet her.

Her father was nothing less than intimidating, much like his son. He introduced himself hesitantly.

He became at ease once I introduced myself to everyone. I wouldn't blame him being cautious of me. Being a Mob Boss for years and welcoming an outsider in.. couldn't be easy.

I was told names, I hope to remember at least half.A chorus of laughs sound when I tell everyone how Harper finished our lab assignment without me.. weeks earlier than due.

'That's my girl' Xavier said looking down at Harper. As my mouth drops open, her cheeks redden. Her mother was looking between the two with a wide smile.

My open mouth turned into a smile.

Dinner ended with goodbyes to the family. Harper saw me to the door. Perfect time to question her about Xavier.

"You like Xavier." I mock, turning on my heel to watch her frown.

"Shut up." In a hushed tone. Jumping at the sound of her brother voice, I scoff a laugh.

"Goodnight Carmen text new when you get home so i'll know you're safe." She gives me a side hug before jetting. 

"Are you finished." Sighing heavily, I look up at him. Finished with what, leaving?

"What do I do when I see Jason again? What if he knows I was here today and tries to kill me or worse I kill him." Amused my my words.

"You think you have that in you, fiore?"

"Do you think I do?" I ask, stepped closer to him.

"How would you cleanse his blood from your hands." Is this man serious?

"Soap? I like that foam kind of soap." Happiness bubbles in my chest at the sound of his deep laugh. The leader of the mob is laughing at a joke I made.

His laugh was so genuine.

"I know what you mean't. You'd help me wouldn't you?" I ask, not knowing where this sudden confidence was coming from. Maybe deep within.

"I wouldn't. We would have the boys blood on both our hands."

"But that's so goals Stefano." I tease him, biting back a laugh.

"Goals?" Curiously asking me, his dark brows pull in confusion.

"As in circa 2012 was a dark time for everyone." I suck onto the bottom of my lip, watching his eyes slowly cast down.

"Ah yes. Your hair dye phase." My eyes widened as I backed up against the door.

"Why did you have to bring that up, creep."

"You think i'm interested in your 2015 or your 2019?" No but you could if you wanted.

"No you hate me." He came closer, closing the space between us. Lifting a hand to rest on the wall behind me.

"You think I could hate you?" His rough voice was gentle now.

"I didn't think anyone could hate me. Jason proved me wrong." He removed a hair resting on my cheek.

I got the feels.

"You do not know why he did it." Was he making an excuse for him?

"But he did it. Are you making excuse for him, Stefano?"

"The mafia world is unpredictable." Like you.

"I wouldn't know."

"It's best it stays that way." I know.

It was my turn to remove a hair that fell on his cheek. I reached up and moved it. We were closer now, I could feel his breath on my face.

"Hi." He chuckled at my words.

"Hello, fiore."

"What does that mean?" I ask softly. This was comfortable, and I don't know why.

"It's a secret." I don't know if he's trying to intimidate me or if this was his way of flirting, either way..both was definitely working.

"Tell me please." I ask lowly.

"Why don't you google search it." He mocks my words from earlier.

"Please." I got on both of my tippy toes and rested my forehead against his. I know i'm living on the dark side or whatever but I felt oddly safe with him.

It's only been what 7 hours.. 8 hours ago I was terrified of his existence..but he's helped me with the Jason situation or the fact he didn't turn his back on me when I needed the help.

I snapped out of my thoughts of him and focused on his thumb tracing my cheek and reaching it's way to my mouth.

I kiss his thumb as it rested against the center of my lips.

"Goodnight." I moved away walking towards to door. "Cazzo." I turned to look at him

"So you'll take me home? Thanks."

"No." I frowned and a look crossed his eyes

"You expect me to go all the way home this late by myself. What if someone from that gang comes from me?"

"I have it handled." He spoke, and I don't bother to question him. I really needed to call my mother before she started to trip out.

"Can I have my phone back now?" I watch his hand, as it slips into his trousers. Pulling my phone right out and placing it softly into my hand. I look back up to see his eyes settled on the phone.

"Goodnight, Stefano."

...

VOTE!!