Chapter 2

Mia

"I need to use my brain. Because like Sophie Monroe said... The brain is the most outstanding organ. It works 24/7, 365 days from birth, until you fall in love..."

PRESENT

I always hated my birthday.

Not that I hate my life or anything. Quite the contrary. I love my life, I just can't stand the whole attention, the fake gift unwrapping and trying to look surprised and happy about whatever people give to you.

It might sound pretentious as hell, but I feel like I have most of what I need in my life. I don't want people spending their time and money to give me something I usually don't really need.

"Oh come on, you can't do that," I whine at the view of my smug brother in front of me.

"I can and I will." He shoots me his trademark grin, the amount of amusement on his face telling me that he's up to no good today.

"Please don't, Liam..." 

But he just shrugs before grabbing my leather jacket and then throwing it in my lap, that grin still playing on his face. I can see it in his eyes, he won't let me argue with him on this.

"Don't make me call mom and dad." My big brother Finn's voice echoes from the hallway until he steps into my living room, a teasing smirk on his face.

"Come on, not you, too... I thought I was your favourite. Where are Aiden and Ethan when you need them?"

Aiden and Ethan are Liam's triplet brothers. They had to drive back to uni this morning, Ethan has an exam in a few days and Aiden usually drives him.

"You know you are, lil sis. That's why I'm not calling Mom and Dad." He winks at me, and I can't help but roll my eyes. Finn is usually on my side, but he loves to push and tease me whenever he can.

"Yeah, M. Come on, let's just have some fun tonight. I promise I'll protect you." My big brother Max, who is also Finn's twin brother, is already waiting by the door, running a hand through his perfectly styled hair while giving me that goddamn big brother grin.

"I don't need your protection," I retort. None of us needs protection, really, but for me, of course, it's different. I am the only daughter between five brothers, after all.

"Yes, we know that. Doesn't mean I'll let you out of my sight," he responds, and I just can't help but roll my eyes before heaving a heavy sigh, knowing that I definitely won't get out of this.

"Come on, Ri and Jer will be there as well. And you know we don't want to call mom and dad. We got them on speed dial." 

Of course they have to pull the parent card. They all know how much I love my parents, just like all of us do. Mom and Dad have always been big on birthday parties, insisting on celebrating every single one of our days of birth to honor them as well. That's the reason why we had the whole family over yesterday — and by whole family I mean the house, garden and driveway were packed to the brim with relatives and friends.

"Fine. But stay off my back, please. Just a bit" 

Max and Liam share a look that tells me that that will probably not happen. I have never been able to do things the way I want to. It's driving me insane, and even though I love all my brothers from the bottom of my heart, sometimes I just wish they'd let me live a little.