book 1 - chapter 19

The chilly, windy Republic City night welcomes us as we tell Beifong and Uncle Tenzin everything we heard, and our suspicions about Mr. Sato. I rub my arms, trying to get some warmth. A gush of wind pulls my braids back, and I feel a slight blush creep up on my cheeks. I think this is the coldest night since I've been here.

"So, what you girls are saying, is that you think Mr. Sato manufactured those gloves for the equalists, and then framed Cabbage Corp?" Uncle Tenzin asks.

Chief Beifong proceeds to put her hands on her hips. "That's a bold accusation."

"We know." I retort. "But we wouldn't come to you if we didn't think it was true."

"What proof do you have?" Beifong asks.

"Well," Korra begins, "We don't exactly have proof, but I know what I heard. And Luna heard it too. Sato's up to something."

"He does have the means." Chief Beifong states. "And he has a motive."

"That's right." My uncle affirms.

"A motive?" Korra asks.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What motive does he have?"

"Twelve years ago, the Agni Kai triad robbed Sato's Mansion. A firebender killed Sato's wife during the break-in." Uncle Tenzin explains.

"That's terrible." My best friend coos.

My hand immediately goes up to my neck, tracing the bumpy skin along my scar. I feel Korra's eyes on me. I look up. "That's one hell of a motive." I murmur.

"It was tragic." My uncle affirms. "It is possible he's been harboring anti-bending sentiment all this time."

"Maybe we should look at Mr. Sato a little more closely." Beifong suggests.

The chief of police and my uncle dismiss our little rendezvous. They go back to the police station to look up some more paperwork on Asami's father. Since we're going to investigate their mansion tomorrow, they told Korra and I to get some rest.

Since Naga stayed at Air Temple Island after we returned from the mansion, Korra and I are going by foot. We're walking side by side along the streets of Republic City.

"Why do I get the feeling we're about to lose all the friends we made here?" I ask my best friend, meeting her intense blue eyes under the city lights.

I see her furrow her eyebrows and tense her lips. "We had no other choice, Luna. We both heard Sato."

"I know." I agree, looking up to see the sky. Since we're currently at a city, we can't see the night sky as clearly as we do back home. Nonetheless, I find the night sky comforting. I always have. Especially on nights when the moon is out. "I'm just scared that doing the right thing is going to cost us a lot."

"Look, if they really care about us, they'll eventually understand." Korra defers, as if she's trying to convince herself as well. "Of course, they'll be upset at first, but they'll see that we did this out of a good place."

I nod, taking in my best friend's words. "Well, whatever happens, you'll always have me."

"I know that." Korra says with a smile. "And you couldn't get rid of me even if you wanted to."

Beifong firmly knocks the door of the Sato family mansion. As the door creeps open, we're greeted by the butler, whose face turns from calm to uneasy in a matter of seconds. We make our way in and I grab Korra's hand, trying to ease my nerves. Whilst going up the stairs, we encounter Asami and Mako, both looking at us with bitterness.