Chapter 14: lets get some rest

So sorry for the long wait on this... life has been kinda hectic recently but I hope you guys enjoy this.

Korra smiled in the door, Asami was already in her nightgown brushing out her hair getting ready for bed. "Hey" "Hey"

"I'm sorry for not telling you sooner Asami. I just...I couldn't. It was a family rule. We did it so they would be safe and no one could use leverage of hurting my family on me." The southerner said, holding her right arm refusing to hold eye contact.

Asami put her brush down and moved to the edge of the bed. She patted a space next to her "Come here baby." Korra walked over and sat facing forward still refusing to look Asami in her eyes. Her girlfriend took her hand in her own "Hey baby, look at me." Teary blue eyes turns to meet her emerald ones. "Korra I'm not mad at you. Yes this is a lot to take in but I understand why you did it. I'm more worried about you. You grew up away from your family. I know that's not easy on you." "It's fine Asami." "Baby no it's not, I know you. You're hurting. I can see it." Korra sniffled and leaned into her woman burying her face into a pale neck and wrapping her arms around the others waist.

"I'm scared Asami. There was a reason we kept it hidden...now that there here." She trailed off. "Did they say why they came?" Korra shook her head no. "Well maybe they aren't exposing it, maybe they just want to see their family too. Besides would it be so bad if they did? They aren't kids anymore Korra. They can take care of themselves." Korra sighed, "I know." "But That doesn't make you feel any better does it?" "No, no it doesn't." Asami smiles and kisses the top of Korra's head. "That's my girl, always worrying about the people she loves. Doing anything to protect them, even if it hurts her."

She brought Korra's eyes to her own. "How about I hold you tonight?" "Yah I'd like that." Korra finally gave a faint smile. "Let me just change and I'll get into bed with you."

A few minutes later Korra came back from the bathroom after brushing her teeth. She got under the silky sheets and snuggled up against Asami. "I love you Korra." "I love you too 'Sami." Asami reaches up next to her and turned the light off.

She waited for Korra's breathing to slow to show she was sleeping but it never did. Finally she thought enough time had passed, honestly it felt like she'd been waiting for an hour. "Korra." "Hm?" The southerner hummed in return. "You're not gonna get any rest are you?" Korra shook her head. "I don't think so." "Wanna talk?" "I don't know. I honestly wouldn't know what to say." Asami moved so she scooted down and was now face to face with Korra. The moonlight shined just enough light in their room to see each other staring back at one another. Asami looked deep into Korra's eyes.

'Spirits she's so beautiful' she thought to herself. She took her hand and rested it on Korra's cheek stroking her thumb softly, never breaking eye contact. "How'd I get so lucky?" She said. Korra just furrowed her brows "What do you mean?" "I mean I get to be in love with the most amazing woman in the world and she loves me back." She gave a small smile. Korra wrapped her arms around Asami's waist and kissed her gently before snuggling into the crook of Asami's neck.

"I'm the lucky one. I have you."

"You still okay to talk?" "Sure." There was a pause. "I'm scared...scared that it's not gonna work with us all back together again." "Why do you think that love?" "Remember when I came back from the South Pole after being gone all those years? Remember how awkward everyone was to be back together? Imagine that but instead we were away from everyone for 12 years..." "Korra family is different." "Yah they have to keep a relationship." She said coldly.

The CEO was worried by her girlfriends statement. "Baby, Korra. They wouldn't have come out of hiding if they didn't really miss you. They want to get to know you and be a family again. I know it." Korra just nodded. Asami was right. They wouldn't have come out of the safety of hiding unless they really wanted to.

"How about you set some time aside with everyone to just catch up? Like take them to the park and have a picnic." "Hm...as long as it's not my park." "What. But that's my favorite park." "Asami I know it's your favorite park but it's weird to stare at a statue of yourself." "I guess you're right." "I can't believe you had it rebuilt after it was torn down from the war." She giggled. That sound warmed Asami's heart. It meant she wasn't stressing anymore, and if Korra was she had at least temporarily forgotten about it. "Well you deserve a statue of yourself. After all I believe you are the best Avatar." "Debatable" "Hey." "You have to think I'm the best avatar. I'm your girlfriend." "You bet you sweet cheeks you are!" Korra giggled in response again and Asami got the same warm feeling in her heart.

The Avatar yawned as sleep was finally catching up to her. "I think I'm finally ready for bed." "Good." Asami kisses the top of Korra's head and closed her eyes. "Sleep well my love."