One

Quentin

"And here's the workspace. Most of the actual designers get there work done in here, those in your position may find yourself dropping things off." The short, thin woman said to me in her thick California accent.

I examined the spacious room in front of me. Three darkly painted walls with one made of exposed brick. The mannequins draped with uncompleted jackets and vests beckoned me toward them.

Ever since I was a kid, to my mother's dismay— I was the one drawing on my clothes or cutting up my jeans. And to now be here? It's insane...

"I see. And where will I be?"

"You'll be in a room in the main building. That's our next destination."

It took one hell of a recommendation, a highly embellished résumé, and three painstaking interviews just to get me on the team here at Blackscale— and still, I was 'under-qualified' for the design job I wanted.

Well, I'd say I'm qualified. I have the talent for it, the drive and work ethic too...but on paper, my lack of a degree deemed me not good enough; leaving me stuck on a team of 'art directors'.

Almost like a designer, but less creative control and half the pay.

The young woman introduced to me as my supervisor led me on an extensive tour of the premises. The elevator brought us to the main building she spoke of, that had a less fun, more corporate look to it.

Still beats my old retail job.

"This is where you and the rest of the team will be. Most of everyone has gone home for the day, that's why it doesn't look as lively." She said, bringing me to a bland version of the workroom from before. "Most of your time will be spent here, the majority of the other rooms in this building are offices. You know, the boring stuff."

Rather than the mannequins and swatches the other room had, this space had computers and sketchbooks.

"Got it."

Before we could continue the tour, we were both startled by the loud slam of a door.

"Don't mind that." My supervisor laughed. "That's just Rivers."

"Rivers?"

"She's the head of our department. If you're lucky, you'll never have to have a conversation with her."

-

Nadia

"I don't understand why things are moving so slowly. Is no one around here doing their jobs?" I told my assistant, immensely frustrated with my report for the week.

"Please don't worry. I've got a great new hire on the art direction team, Daley is actually touring him now. You should see his portfolio-"

"You said that about the last kid, Harley. And he hasn't contributed anything valuable to the brand."

"This one will be different, I promise you Nadia. I can show you some really interesting designs-"

"No need. I'm putting my trust into you. But my ass is on the line and so is yours."

When will this day end?

As much as I loved my job, I didn't particularly love the role of being the hardass higher-up. With me being the only woman in my position, it was sometimes hard to be taken seriously. I'd rather be disliked then walked all over.

"Understood. I have everything under control, I promise. You've just gotta stay calm and positive. Don't you have a super hot date tonight?"

I then remembered that I couldn't simply go home and relax on my couch as I'd desperately wish to, since earlier this week I'd agreed to go out with some guy I'd met online.

I don't usually have the best luck with dating. Yes, men approach me...but often times my career or demeanor intimidated them— which sucked. It's not like I need the perfect guy with the perfect job..I just want someone who cares for me. (The perfect job is a plus)

"Oh, right..him."

"You don't sound very excited."

"I'm just exhausted, and I forgot I have to go home and get ready for a date. That's it."

"Maybe you should go ahead and leave out early. I'll take care of the rest of the paperwork, you go have a nice time. Maybe even get some..?"

"Harley— you know what? I'll take it." I said, standing up and grabbing my purse. "I'll leave for the day. If production isn't up tomorrow, we're gonna want a team meeting. Alright?"

"Yeah yeah. Go have fun Nadia."

Before leaving the building, I decided to do a walkthrough the art direction workroom. The day was over for most of them, so maybe I could get a peek at what exactly it is they've been working on.

Before I fully walked into the room, I heard Daley's voice.

I forgot she was touring the new guy.

"Oh, she's the worst. I don't even think I've ever seen Rivers smile."

Wait, she's talking about..me..

Instead of interrupting, I stood outside the room, continuing to listen.

"She can't be that bad. Everyone around here seems so down to earth.." I heard the guy say.

"Everyone except for her. Don't be fooled because most of us our young. You don't have to be old to be lonely and bitter. Rivers proves that."

My heart dropped down to my feet.

This is for certain my cue to leave.

-

I opened the front door to my condo. For some reason, I thought about the things Daley said about me during my entire drive home.

I was well aware I wasn't a fan favorite around the office, but I assumed it was just because I'm serious...and stern.

Not..bitter and lonely.

I had no time to worry about it, since it was now time I get ready for this dinner date.