July 21, 1900

I got up on July 21, 1900 before the Morning Bell to change into a clean set of clothes. While on the top bunk, of course. When I was dressed, I went back down and put on my suspenders, vest, and boots. Just when I finished brushing my hair, the bell chimed.

"Elmer," I shook him lightly. The boy rolled over, eyes were dark brown slits.

"I heard it." He muttered.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothin'." Elmer pulled his thin blanket over his tired face. I pulled it back down gently. He was hugging a pillow again.

"It's somethin'." I insisted.

"It's somethin'." The black haired boy admitted, eyes a little more open.

"What is it?" I sat down on the other side of the bed, criss-cross.

"I told ya about Snyder, right?" He asked, sitting up on his elbows. I nodded. "If he sees any Newsie, he's gonna hurt him. Or her."

"I know." I nodded again.

"He won't go easy on a goil Newsie." Elmer said somberly. "Actually, he'd be worse for a goil Newsie."

"Right." I picked at my lip nervously.

"J-just be careful, okay?" He sat up more. "Please."

"I will." I promised.

"Thanks." Elmer breathed a sigh of relief.

"It's time to get ready." I told him, getting up off the bed. "I'll meet you at the gate."

"Okay, cya!" The black haired boy nodded, smiling, as I picked up the hat and left.

"Mornin', Olive!" Crutchie greeted me, Honeybelle perched on his shoulder. I gave her a little scratch.

"Hey, Crutchie." I smiled.

"Is you gettin' Elmer anything for his birthday?" The lame boy asked.

"It's his birthday?" I whisper-shouted.

"Well, not today." Crutchie shrugged, careful of the kitten. "On Monday. Da 23rd."

"In two days." I breathed, making a mental note to find a way to go to the market without Elmer seeing what I get him. Me and Crutchie both went down to the gate to wait.

"Hey!" I heard Elmer's voice behind me. Crutchie wiggled his eyebrows suggestively at me before going to Jack.

"Hi." I turned to see the boy. His brown eyes were as puppy-ish as ever.

"Headline!" Romeo shouted, causing me to turn back so I could see it.

Escaped Convict, Snyder,  Has Made Death Threats To Medda Larkin Through Telegraph, Post, and Unknown Criminal.

"Not Medda!" Jack shouted in anguish.

"Just gets betta ev'ry day, don't it?" Morris laughed as he unlocked the gate.

"This ain't a joke!" Crutchie exclaimed angrily.

"We's neva said dat it was." Oscar held his hands up mockingly.

"Well it ain't." Race got in his face, cigar poking out of his mouth.

"Back off, Racer." Oscar shoved the blond boy back.

"Aw, you's gonna regret dat." He yelled, trying to land a low on the Delancey, but Jojo, Albert, Finch, Mush, and Buttons were holding him back.

"It ain't worth it."

"Look, at 'im, how can you possibly damage dat face more?"

"Leave it."

Elmer and I went together to buy papes.