Dinner

"So we have... bread, and... actually that's it."

"Yeah it's fine, I'm starving anyway."

Kain handed Arlo a piece of bread.

It was cold and hard, but it was food.

He looked up at the gradient sky as the sun was setting.

He had taken off most of his armor, but he left on his arm and leg protection. Wearing that all day had made his skin underneath moist and sore.

He rubbed some dirt off his boots.

"So what's the plan for tomorrow?" asked Troy. Again.

Several soldiers groaned in annoyance.

"Troy, I must have told you a hundred times, we're heading to the main camp tomorrow morning."

Troy took a bite of his bread.

"How long will that take?"

"Well, it took me a day to get to Mordana village from there so, it should be likewise, unless, of course, we run into trouble."

"That's unlikely, right?"

"Highly unlikely."

"Oh shoot! It's getting really dark!" Exclaimed Sara.

"Oh right!" Troy sounded very serious. "Where are we sleeping?"

Kain scratched his chin.

"Did I forget to tell you? We won't be sleeping tonight."

"What? How come?"

"Well, since the Vaeqilians could attack the border at any point, we really need to be moving at all times. But don't worry, I'll make sure to give you some time to get rest once we're at the camp."

"Well, dang. I'm still worn out from the walk we took today."

"Don't worry though, we still have about an hour or two before we leave. You could get some sleep in during that time."

"Bet."

And like that, Troy was asleep.

"Woah, it's like he died." a group of soldiers gathered around to poke at Troy.

Kain turned his attention to Arlo and Sara.

"We'll be taking turns. You guys should get some sleep too, I'll go tell the other soldiers."

He stood up and walked towards the other groups of soldiers, who were all huddled around small fires.

Arlo laid his head down on the sheets of cloth that were provided, and before he knew it, he dozed off.