Missing

They were now traversing a forest, returning to the command post.

Arlo was positioned in front of the platoon of both the soldiers and newer recruits.

"Kain, are you sure I should be at the front of all these soldiers?" he asked.

"I mean, you have the blessing of Aerys, right? Surely it is a symbol of good luck."

They had gathered about five hundred more soldiers from Sailorn.

Eunice stepped beside him.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" she leaned over to see his face, which had been staring at the dirt path below.

Arlo looked up from the ground.

"Oh... I just had a strange dream the other night."

"Well... what was it about?"

"I think... I think I had a vision."

"A vision? What do you mean?"

"I had a dream of a kingdom filled with people who were happy that were free from fear."

It sounded a lot stranger when he said it aloud. He had grown up in a village full of people who knew nothing but fear.

Besides gramps, that is.

"Hmm... but... it was just a dream, right?"

"That's not it. Aerys spoke to me.

Eunice looked startled and in disbelief.

"A...Aerys s...spoke to you? You're bluffing, right?"

"No! Of course not... but... Aerys said I would be the one to rule over... Czarina."

"Like... after Vaequiles is destroyed? You will be the king of the land when we remain victorious?"

"Well... Aerys said I have to... save Vaequiles." Arlo winced.

"Save them from what?"

"I don't know.. that was all I was told."

Eunice put a hand on her chin.

"Well, I heard stories about how Vaequiles is nothing but brutal... but... that can't be true, can it?"

Arlo had heard the same things before, stories from the villagers back at home.

Is that what I have to save Vaequiles from? A lack of kindness?

That shouldn't be difficult...

Arlo needed to clear his mind. He breathed in the fresh air of the forest.

Where was Keith?

"Sara, Troy, have you seen Keith?" he looked around and back at the platoon to see if he was there.

"Oh, you're right! I haven't seen him since we came to the camp."

"Oh gods... you're right! We're such bad friends..." Troy looked upset.

"He must have been sent to another party for other duties back at the command post, right?"

"I dunno... I haven't heard or seen from him for some time now."

Arlo found Kain and walked up to him.

"Kain, you remember my friend Keith, right?"

"Hmm? Oh, yes, is anything the matter?"

"Uh... my friends and I somehow forgot about him... do you happen to know where he could be?"

"I'm... no. Let me check." he pulled out his bag and searched inside of it. He pulled out a journal and flipped through it.

Kain had a look of discomfort in his eyes.

"Oh..."

"Why? Do you know where he is?"

"He... Arlo... it says in my soldier count that Keith was not found after your last battle."

Arlo stopped walking.

"Arlo?" Troy called.

"No... does that mean he's...?"

Kain closed his journal.

"Not necessarily. It could mean that he was either unlisted by mistake or that he was... taken hostage... to put it lightly."

"We... we can find him, right?" asked Sara.

"Perhaps. I could send out a search party for you if you would like."

"Please."

"Alright, I'll issue out a search for your friend. Don't worry, we'll find him."

"Thank you..."