Chapter 18: The Fault In Our Detention

I felt the warm liquid drain down my hair, the chunky pieces of meat and sauce covered beans dripping off of my nose and in front of me still stood Byron with that annoyingly devilish smirk on his face. It was about time someone slapped it off. Better yet...

I picked up a bowl of potato salad and flung it at his face. Kelly shot up from the floor laughing her lungs out and so did the few people who weren't throwing food.

I watched as Byron removed some of the salad from around his eyes, flicking it off of his fingers and licking around the area of his lip  which I found rather daunting as I waited for his next move.

"I think it needs one more thing to do the trick." He says grabbing a bowl of rice.

"Rice? Really, Archer?" I go to laugh but then I'm covered in rice from head to toe.

Instantly we're going back and forth on each other throwing different types of foods. It soon turns into some competition as Kelly starts handing me the foods quickly and Tyler starts handing Byron some. It seems we've taken the whole cafeteria's attention because I don't hear the yelling of students.  Either that or its the mash potatoes Byron flung in my ear making me deaf.

"Stop!"

Promptly the pasta in my hand freezes and so does the corn dog in Byron's. The cafeteria sure cooked a lot of food today.

"What is going on here?"

I lower my arm, Byron repeats my action but faster. Principle Thornton stood at the cafeteria entrance with anything but a pleased face.

"You two. My office. Now!" He roars, his loud thundering voice booming the cafeteria.

*

"Food fights in the cafeteria? I am disappointed in you both. Not as much you, Mr. Archer, but Miss Brookes. You're in my office yet again."

I slumped back into the chair. Why was I in your office for the first time, sir? Oh, yeah. The time I suffered public humiliation while covered in fish details. And what did you do?

Nothing.

"She started it. " Byron pointed out immaturely

"I don't care who started it and therefore you both shall be rewarded with detention after school." Principal Thornton said smiling proudly.

He wore a smug smile where as you'd think he solved world hunger or something, but in reality he was just placing an innocent student in detention with a less innocent student who the innocent student couldn't bare to be in the same room with.

"D-Detention?" I stuttered. I had never got detention in my life. My permanent record was clean, never missed a day in my life, or back talked a teacher. Or brought in late homework. My record was smoother than a baby's bottom. And that's how it was suppose to stay.

Permanently.

"I can't get a detention!" I said much louder than I intended on saying it. "My record is clean!"

"Nerd.." Byron mumbled.

I glared at him for a brief moment before turning back to the principal.

"You should've thought about that before you decided to pick up that apple." Principal Thornton said gesturing us out of the office.

I shot up out of my seat and exit the office nearly hitting Byron with the door, but he caught it with his foot. He mumbled profanities under his breath making his way over to Tyler who had been waiting near the water fountain. I scowled at the two before glimpsing Serena in the corner of my eye.