Chapter 10

I looked around as the bright sun shone all over the place. My eyes drifted to kids running around and all sorts of colored roofs.

Wait. Something’s absolutely strange.

How can I possibly see the roofs below me?

I gasped as I looked down my feet. We are meters away from the ground.

I screamed my lungs out as the realization sunk in. My hands that clung to Gyth slipped and I felt my weight getting heavier.

I was falling.

“Chevel!” Gyth yelled, approaching my falling state.

He quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me up to him. His arms draped around me and his touch felt different.

It’s warm.

A confused look formed on my face upon realizing his touch was warm. Unlike humans, Gyth’s temperature is cold.

Yet, now he’s so warm that it's making me want to stay in his embrace.

But what confused me more is the fact that he doesn’t have wings like Dicarius said, yet he stayed afloat in the air.

“Are you alright?” He asked, snapping me out of my delusions.

“Y-yes. Thank you.” I nodded, as he helped me to stand back up.

His hands left my back and found my hand instead, intertwining them together. I blushed at the sudden gesture.

“I told you to never let go.” He sighed. I pressed my lips together and mouthed an apology.

“We’re in our soul forms and human souls are hefty.” He said, a hint of annoyance evident in his voice.

He gripped my hand tightly this time, leaving a constant pounding in my chest.

“Gyth? How did you fly without your wings?” I asked in pure curiosity. He shifted his gaze towards me so quickly in complete shock.

“How did you know?” He asked raising a brow.

I lowered my head shyly, knowing that he would’ve told me anything if he wanted to. I felt like I was unnecessarily snooping around.

“Dicarius told me.. But mostly because I asked him a lot of questions and he just happened to mention it.” I explained trying to defend Dicarius. He was so kind to me and I didn’t want him to get into trouble.

“Chevel.. I’m not mad.” Gyth said. I nodded in response. I noticed him let out a long sigh. I wondered what could’ve been making him so stressed out.

“Well, underworld beings has light souls in the human world. We can fly freely without the need of our wings in here.” He explained.

“I see.” I replied amusingly, nodding my head.

“Ten forty two. Five more minutes.” Gyth muttered, as we floated in front of the hospital in my city.

We went inside and Gyth dropped me off the ground.

“Wait for me here.” He said, sitting me on one of the bench chairs of the hospital.

Before he could even make a step, I hesitantly tugged on his cape.

“I-it’s fine.. I’ll go with you.” I said, earning a raised brow.

After a short while of thinking, he finally let me go with him. I followed him from behind keeping a short distance between us.

We reached the room of a boy lying down a hospital bed, her parents grieving beside his lifeless body.

I gasped, my hands covering my mouth.

I scanned the room and saw the boy’s soul beside his parents.

“How old is he?” I asked Gyth as I desperately swallowed the lump in my throat.

“He’s eight.” Gyth responded. I inhaled deeply feeling the pang in my chest.

Now I understand why Gyth wanted me to wait outside.

This is just too cruel and unfair. Such a young boy deprived of his future.

“Will you kiss him too?” I asked, which made Gyth jump away causing the soul of the boy to notice our presence.

“What made you think I’d even do that?” He asked in a very displeased tone. I can virtually see fumes going out of his head.

“W-well you did it with m-me..” I said, almost stuttering at every word. His eyes widened, a light shade of red almost flushing on his cheeks.

He closed his eyes for a moment before clearing his throat as I watched him with confusion.

“Your soul is exceptionally unstable that it needed to be done at that certain extent.” He explained smoothly.

I just stared at him when I suddenly felt something tugging on my cape.

I looked down and saw the boy beside me.

“Are you the ones going to take me away?” He asked and tears just started brimming in my eyes.

I bent down to his eye level and patted his head.

“This guy over here will take you to his castle.” I said, shifting my eyes to Gyth, his brow raised in confusion.

“Right?” I mouthed to him, and he didn’t have any choice but to nod.

“Really? Awesome!” The boy said as I wrapped him around my arms.

I let go of him as Gyth stood in front of him whilst holding my hand.

He bent down the same way I did, not letting go of my hand as he raised his other hand on top of the boy’s head.

The boy collapsed in his arms and soon after, we were engulfed with the same bizarre place before arriving at the castle.

Once we’ve arrived, I walked towards Gyth to help him lay the boy down on the couch. Unfortunately, the world seems to be flipping out in my vision as I left a huge thud on the ground.

“Chevel!” Gyth yelled, running towards me after laying the boy down.

He held me in his arms and laid me down his bed, the scent of his sheets immediately filling my nostrils.

“I-I’m fine. I just got dizzy.” I muttered, as he sat beside me.

“You should rest. It takes so much strength for a human to go back to the human world.” He said, tucking away the strands of hair behind my ears.

“N-no. I’m fine really.” I said, pushing myself up with my elbow. Before I could even get up, he held my shoulders and forced me down the bed.

“Don’t worry I’ll stay here. You need to recover your strength or you’ll be an easy target for incubuses.” He insists, leaning his back against the headboard.

I sighed and nodded in defeat. I really wanted to come with him on his last destination of the day. It’s the street where I lived and I’m worried about who might’ve died.

The thought of it still makes my whole body shiver.

Gyth sighed all of a sudden, making my gaze drift towards him.

“I’ll wake you up when it’s time to go.” He said, scratching the nape of his neck.

A smile immediately formed on my lips as I tucked myself off to sleep.