6.

It should be said that when one wishes for peace the universe will never let you gain peace easily, you'll have to go through some very terrible shit to achieve the peace you wish for. All I wanted was a peaceful evening at home in my fuzzy socks watching Blackish and talking shit about people on Justin's floor.

Watching Hugh interact with the lovely Cortez Elle, a model and shareholder in one of Marko's businesses, for the most part, it's unnerving, I find my presence unnecessary and their conversation being one I understand clearly yet I don't engage.

"I'm sorry to keep on talking like this, I've always wanted to meet Hughey here." Sultry tone and demeaning, I could tell by the sneer as if telling me to annihilate myself from this plane of existence so Hugh would completely be his with undivided attention.

I wish that too only problem is I have a large hand gripping tightly on my wrist. I feel like a slave.

Literally.

"Nolan please escort me to the bathroom." I try to pry my hand away from Hugh but it only tightens. I lowly hiss so that he registers what he's doing. My hand now had a very defined red hand mark on it. "Excuse us." Hugh speaks and drags me to the bathroom. I don't utter a word. The ghost of a smirk on his face evident.

"We're here unless you want me to undo your fly." I knew he was baiting me to talk. "You're not going anywhere Mel, with Marko lurking around who knows what he'll do." I knew very well the extent of Marko's crazy over me, he did kidnap me once.

In reality, the man was just too brutal for my liking. I finish up and take my time drying my hands. Hugh notices the red flush on my wrist. "Did I do that?" Silence. "I'm sorry." Silence.

He guides me out of the bathroom, Nolan had been standing by the door waiting for us. Instead of his hand on my wrist, it was back on my waist. His grip ever firm. This kind of possession made me falter at times but right now having him do it in public made my heart flutter, I just hoped tonight would pass with me still being silent. Hugh was bringing his A-game and he was winning.

"I was wondering where you were, come meet Cortez, Marko's father Davos guided us to where the familiar person of Cortez stood talking to a group of young women. They seemed to be well acquainted. "Have you met-"

"We have Davos." Hugh cut the older male with a smile as he turned to meet Cortez, his blush made me want to rip out his eyes and hurl as well, the first being prominent. Of course, I was to some degree jealous but as I had been told time and time again brainless white bimbos  were Hugh's type and I was not that in any way.

The two exchange contacts and I knew I would be seeing more of Cortez than I would like. His smirk made me aware he didn't like me, for some reason it made me question his sanity. He off the bat thought I was a threat to whatever his plan was with Hugh when I was anything but that. I was trying to escape my aching feelings for him.

Even now.

"So just to be clear, I want you to back off, I know you love Mr. Lamont but from the looks of it you're just an accessory, I don't need to remind you there is nothing you could offer him really." Hugh had been called to the podium to give a speech, I had been left with Cortez who was now revealing his true character like the snake in the grass he was.

His words hurt, I know Hugh didn't love me, I know a lot of shit because I've lived with him for almost nine years, hell I'm the one who knows where his mother and father are buried. It's always been me with a one-sided love. I devoted myself to Hugh no one knew about it but as time goes by it's becoming apparent that Hugh Lamont may express himself in a way that makes the onlookers jealous of me, he's not in love with me.

And now the vultures are descending.

"At least now you know little Authur, you're nothing." He adds.

"I don't have enough sage for this." I reply him and turn to leave. Nolan stands in my way. "Move or lose your job." I face the taller male. He puts an arm around me and leads me out.

"Um thank you." I heard Hugh. His speech was not that short for him to have been done with it so soon. He must have noticed me leaving. It made me feel wanted, he would drop everything and come running to me but in all of that, I knew I wasn't enough so I may feel the chivalry and it makes me appreciate him but that was it, appreciation because I knew it was an act of a different love.

Not the one I was giving.

"Are you alright?" Silence. I didn't expect him to lift me from my seat and cradle me in his arms. That was it, I couldn't stay mad. He had won. I crumbled.  "I'm trying here." I knew that was the closest, I would get to an apology. "I'm fine Hugh." I croaked out. His usual cool facade and signature smirk tells me all I needed to know. His ego was through the roof by now as he felt proud about winning. Indeed he had won.

"Does this mean I'm forgiven and you're talking to me again?" I look up to his eyes. "I get to eat your food again." He adds.

"You're not forgiven and I'm talking to you like any sane person would, and I always cook so there is no point in making it seem as if I was starving you." I reply trying to get off his lap. "Nolan take us home." He nods and I notice Cortez standing outside by a blue Audi with no other than Marko the enemy I had done a perfect tango with.

It was none of my business whatever they were discussing so I focused on getting out of Hugh's lap.

" It's weird having your 'best friend' sit on your lap." He didn't move only brought me closer to his chest. "I find nothing about it weird, we've slept in the same bed before countless times, and it doesn't change the dynamic of our friendship. Plus somehow this feels really good." His statement incited rage and confusion all at once in me.

What did he mean it felt good and what the fuck did he mean by 'it didn't change the dynamic'. I freaking have feelings for him which he takes for granted. I hate it.

"I won't say anything because right now I just don't have the energy for it, I just want to go home and forget about this disastrous night." I retort. "Okay chief, we're almost home." His accent had spilled out as he spoke. It turned me on during my college days. Now it just shows how different we are and serves as a reminder of what I can't have.

It's a turn-off.

----------------------------------------------------------------

LMJ