Chapter 2

~Alex~

I was always told I was trouble, getting myself into predicaments I couldn't get out of. I could safely say sitting next to a large and quite scary man who crashed my car was one of them.

He stared at me like I was the most worthless piece of trash as I sat down. "You're shitting yourself if you think you're sitting next to me."

I gave him an expression showing him I didn't care. He was so cocky, that I could already see. When the bus took off, a breath of relief left my mouth.

I don't know what I'd have done if i was left on the side of the road, especially with cuts and sores all over my body. My head was throbbing from being smashed against my steering wheel, and my back hurt terribly.

The best I could do for now was take some painkillers and try to distract myself. Music blasted in my ears, the man next to me shifting causing me to look at him.

Regrettably, I couldn't hold back from scanning him once again. From his black pants to his veiny tattooed forearms, to his dark button up shirt.

Warmth flooded my lower belly. In a way it never had before. I shoved a grape into my mouth.

"Are you some sort of hitman?"

His eyes narrowed into slits, but he didn't reply.

I hope thats a no.

———

The rest of the way he was quiet. Usually I liked talking to my seat partners, but today I wanted to keep my energy so instead I painted my nails and fretted about my ruined plans.

If this bus was leading me to in Sicily, I was screwed. My flight to New York was in Palermo, I'd miss it.

I took almost a year to gather that much money to even book it, including my brothers car all for it to be destroyed with a half a million sports car.

Rich people. The lunatic was walking around in an Armani shirt and a Rolex. He was a walking trigger for getting mugged, and thats if anyone even had the guts to.

I blew on the shiny purple lacquer, looking at him again. I'll admit I was quite a nosy person, and couldn't help trying to figure out what was going through his mind.

He was just staring out of the window with a sober expression. Wanting to get a human reaction from him I waved my hand front of his face, but he wasn't fazed. It became entertaining, all before he grabbed it.

Just like before, heat burned my skin as he held it in a steel, almost painful grip. There was an eerily calm look in his indifferent eyes, that managed to send a violent shiver down my spine.

Now that I could see them in light, there was something about them. A scary emptiness that lay hidden beneath ice. I don't know what it was, but it scared me.

There was something off about this man, and I knew I wasn't the only one who sensed it. Regardless, I couldn't bring myself to cower. Maybe it was my greatest weakness.

His grip tightened on my hand. "Not the right time to be playing around with someone you think looks like a hitman."

"Oh, I'm playing with you?" I asked, liking the feel of his hand holding mine. He saw this and threw it away, my skin singing where he touched.