all canadians are cute📚

It really shouldn't have been as surprising as it was for him. He knew his two friends were in a relationship and it didn't bother him. Apart from the fact that he was in love with both men.

John has, for the longest time, been in love with one of his best friends, Smiity, and it nearly killed him when he found out said best friend was in a relationship with the other Canadian in their friend group. Of course Smiity wouldn't want him, he's never been good enough, and Evan is everything anyone could want. He's attractive, a gamer, he plays the guitar, and he's a good person all wrapped in one, what more could Smiity want? After a while of wallowing in his sadness, John decided to man up and face his fears, so he and Evan met up.

He gave the classic "hurt him and I'll hurt you worse." spiel but after that, the two really didn't know what to talk about, but eventually, they got to the topic of Smiity's dog, Octavia, and things started to go downhill from there. The two ended up getting along a lot better than they originally thought, conversation flowing easily and when there were silences, they didn't feel super awkward. Everything felt...nice, and maybe John found himself leaving after getting a hug from the man with cheeks that were slightly flushed as he cursed himself for falling for almost every cute Canadian he came across.

So that led him to where he was today, his two friends still in a happy relationship, and him hopelessly in love with both men. It honestly wasn't the best position to be in, especially when they started to hang out more and more, just the three of them. That didn't help his heart, at all. At first, he just thought it was more Smiity wanting to hang out and by extension Evan as well, but then Evan started to text him and play with him more and more and soon he would be asked by both men to come over or if they could hang out at his house.

It had been going on for about 3 months, where they would all hang out together and it pained John whenever he had to leave, but there was always next time, he would keep reminding himself, but it was never enough. He always wanted more. But he was getting over the fact that he would never be with either of them, they're happy together and he should feel happy for them because that's what friends should be like, and that's all he'll ever be to them.

So, here he was, mentally preparing himself for when he had to leave and his heart would be broken once again. Sure the pain had mostly gone away, but there was still some lingering sorrow that filled his heart when he stepped out into the night. He had about 30 minutes left until he had to go so he could get enough sleep, but he would rather be tired and with Evan and Smiity in real life than be well-rested and at his stupid house recording with them over discord.

"-ohn? John! You there dude?" He snapped out of his dazed state and back into reality when he hears the voice of Smiity that holds an ounce of worry but mostly is filled with amusement and something that sounds like fondness, but John brushes it off as wishful thinking. He looks to his right and sees his friend on the couch beside where he was in a very comfy chair, Evan wasn't in sight, he must be in the kitchen or something, John thinks.

"Sorry, spaced out for a second, what were you saying?" He asks and he sees something flash across Smiity's face, something that made a small smile appear on his face; a light blush, and widened eyes. It's a look that he didn't expect someone to give him ever, and yet here his best friend was with a slightly pink face and a sheepish smile on his lips.

"It was nothing, I barely remember what I said before I started calling you down from space, astro-fuck," Smiity replied, brushing off the comment with a slight shrug that told John that he wasn't going to give up his secrets anytime soon.

"I was thinking about too smart of things for your small brain to comprehend,"

"And yet you still don't do English too goodly, 'too smart of things.' " Evan walked in from the kitchen and sat himself down onto the couch next to Smiity as he used air quotes when he quoted what John had just said. Evan put his arm around his boyfriend, pulling him close to his side, the small gesture of affection make a splinter of pain prick his heart. He wanted that to be him, though he wasn't sure which person he wanted to be more.