.thirteen.

"How ironic is it that I'm returning to my greatest failure, Ba Sing Se." Iroh stated softly, looking over the ocean with a distant type of fondness.

"Dont say failure, say... growing experience." Y/n chimed in, half of her body hanging over the boat in hopes of catching some of the water on her hand.

"Y/n stop, you're going to fall." Zuko grumbled, sitting on the ground and poking at his plate.

"But I cant, I want to feel the water. You know, I should have been born a water bender." she said.

After a moment Zuko tossed his plate to the side in frustration.

"The food here is terrible!" He yelled.

"Yeah, and I heard the captain here lives like a king. Its unfair dontcha think?" A voice called out. Y/n flipped herself back on the deck to see where the voice was coming from. There was a young boy who approached them, two shorter kids behind him. The boy looked to y/n, his face flushing a little.

"Im Jet, you know how to use those katanas on your waist pretty lady? What do you say we 'liberate' some of that food." He asked the two of them.

"What do you mean?" Zuko asked.

"How about we sneak into the captain's quarters tonight? Whats your names?"

"Im Lee, and this is-"

"Akira." Y/n chimed in.

"So what do you say?" Jet asked, softly chewing on a piece of straw.

"Im in."

________________

The next morning as Jet was handing out rations of the food they stole, y/n sat on the floor of the ship quietly munching on an apple. The day was warm, slightly breezy, and the sound of the ocean lapping against the boat was evident over the sound of passenger chatter. The water sounds were calmimg to y/n, she really did belive she was supposed to be a water bender.

"It'll be great to see the great wall finally." Jet said as he sat down next to her and across from Iroh and Zuko.

"It sure is a sight to behold, I saw it once when I saw another man." Iroh reminisced.
"The sheer size of the thing will make you feel so small and insignificant." Y/n commented.

"You've seen the wall before, Akira?" Jet asked, turning to her. Her eyelashes fluttered as she took another bite of her apple.

"I've been to the city before." Is all she said.

"You've been everywhere haven't you?" Zuko asked.

"Pretty much." She smirked.

"Well I'll be going to the city for a second chance." jet said softly.

"Everyone deserves a second chance." Iroh commented, directing his gaze to Zuko.

That night, as y/n was perched on an empty barrel, softly cleaning one of her katanas with Iroh's straw hat on her head, she heard steady footsteps. Looking into the darkness of the ship's deck she saw Jet approaching them. Softly, she reached out and patted Zuko's shoulder with the sheath of her katana, successfully waking him up.

"By the way you look, I can tell exactly who you are." Jet stated, approaching the two. Y/n's blood stilled, slowly her hand traveled to the handle of the blade, just in case she would have to use it.

"You're outcasts, just like me. and us outcasts have to stick together. Watch each other's backs because no one else will."

"I've come to realize that being on one's own is not always the best path." Zuko stated calmly.