Theon Greyjoy X Stark!Reader - Mr. Blue Sky

A/N - This chapter is based on the song 'Mr. Blue Sky' by the Electric Light Orchestra. I may end up writing a part two, but I'm not sure yet. I hope you all enjoy it.

Ever since you were a small child, you had been known for your cheerful disposition. It was rare to find you with anything other than a smile on your face, and you never had a bad word to say about anyone. Seven Hells, you were probably kinder than everyone else in the Seven Kingdoms combined. 

This, for some reason unknown to you, had driven Theon to distraction. He had always found your lack of negativity unusual, and as you got older and he began to delight in teasing your siblings, you had continued to become even sweeter. 

"You know," he had started one afternoon, falling into step beside you and receiving one of your beaming smiles. "Some day, when you marry some brutish old man, you'll stop smiling."

A small chuckle escaped your lips, causing Theon's brow to furrow, his mouth dropping open in surprise. "You say the silliest things," you started, your smile still firmly set on your lips. "I think I would be happy married to any man. Being a wife is a great honour-"

"Don't be stupid," Theon interrupted, gripping your arm and causing you to stumble to a stop in the middle of the hallway. "Some men wouldn't think twice before hurting you," he continued, watching as you shook your head, your smile unfaltering.

"Father wouldn't ever marry to man he thought would want to bring me harm." You paused for a moment, your smile softening ever so slightly. "You needn't worry about me."

Theon scoffed, shaking his head. "I'm not worried about you," he started, rolling his eyes when another stifled chuckle escaped you. "I'm just trying to prepare you for a life outside of Winterfell."

"Well," you murmured, reaching out to touch his arm ever so lightly. "Then you needn't bother doing that, either. I've spent my entire life learning about the world outside of Winterfell. I'm not nearly as naive as you think I am." With that, you gave another perfect smile before taking a few steps away down the hallway. "I really ought to find Septa Mordane before she realises I'm late," you called out to him, shooting him a final smile over your shoulder before picking up your pace. 

*Time Skip*

A few months later, the world had turned itself upside down and you had gone your separate ways. When you'd finally seen Theon again, you were both full grown adults.

He hadn't recognised you at first. With your hair messier, and dark circles under your eyes, your were a shadow of your younger self, but the main thing that had thrown him off was the absence of your smile. He had spent the entire meeting watching you as covertly as possible, though he was certain that others had noticed, just waiting for your exterior to shift and that smile he had missed so dearly to come back and light up the room. 

You left the meeting as quickly as you could, with Jon and his advisor following close on your heel. God, you were almost out of the throne room before his voice interrupted you.

"Y/N." It was so simple, and yet it stopped your in your tracks, causing a shaking breath to break free. "Jon," he added, his footsteps stopping a few feet away from you. 

"Theon," Jon uttered, glancing at your back as he looked at his old friend. 

Theon swallowed, turning his eyes to the floor as soon as they met Jon's. "I wanted to apologise."

"Go on then." You pressed your eyes shut, listening to the two of them going back and forth and attempting to hold in the frustration building up inside of you. 

"I'm so sorry-"

"You were right, you know." The words had burst out of you before you could stop them, followed by a soft sob that stopped Theon in his tracks. "I wasn't prepared for the real world but you didn't have to help it break me."