Chapter Four

"It's so many people here." Ember tells her coworker, Taina.

"Tell me about it. What happened to these kids going to the movies and the mall on Friday's? A couple years ago, nobody would even think about coming out here." Taina added.

"Guess they wanted a change of scenery." Ember shrugged.

"Well it could've been at the arcade or something. All they do is fight and shoot here. It's mad annoying. I'm gonna go on break. You can handle it from here." Taina didn't wait on Ember's response as she left.

Ember was at the front alone. She leaned against the counter watching people skate. Besides the drama, she actually enjoyed working here. Although she didn't have to, her mother refused to let her sit in the house and do nothing all day. Money didn't grow on trees and her parents didn't have shit handed to them so Sahara wanted Ember to learn independence.

"You look like you're suffering behind that counter." Madison said as she leaned against the opposite side.

"Not really. Where's Namiko?" Ember questioned.

"Somewhere outside kissing Ty's ass. You know she caught him texting other girls in his phone and she's being so damn stupid."

"Texting them what?"

"Dick pics."

"Ew." Ember says.

"Right. There's Malik, you think Adonis is coming?"

"I don't know." Ember shrugged. She'd given him her number but he hasn't used it. It's not that Ember cared or anything but she didn't want her time to be wasted if he wasn't serious about getting to know her.

Madison pushed her hair behind her ear, "Just in case, how do I look?"

Madison looked like her usual self with her makeup and half up half down hairstyle. She wore a rainbow colored crop with light jeans.

"Like yourself." Ember said.

"You're no help Ember. I'll just have to ask Namiko."

"Good luck, Namiko doesn't like rainbow shirts."

"Do you think I have a chance with Adonis anyway? I don't know if he likes white girls."

Ember shrugged, "I don't know. You'd just have to go for it."

"You're right. Here comes Malik. You should get to know Malik then we could go on a double date." Madison suggested before Malik stopped in front of the counter. "Hi Malik, is Adonis coming tonight?"

"Nah, he's busy." Malik tells her.

"You should give him my number." Madison continued.

"Madison I really think you need some water." Ember blurted. She didn't mean to say that out loud but Madison was trying way too hard. It was starting to get on Ember's nerves actually.

"Wow Ember. You're such an amazing friend." Madison rolled her eyes and walked away forgetting to ask for skates.

Malik looked over at Madison and then at Ember as he chuckled, "You should tell your friend that she isn't Adonis's type."

"I'm sure he'll tell her himself if that's how he feels. Skate size?"

"Thirteen." Malik examined her for a second. He could see why Adonis wanted her. Even in her work uniform, Ember was naturally beautiful. She didn't try too hard to fit in with the other girls who dressed half naked for attention.

He slid the money across the counter as she gave him the skates.

"Keep the change. Oh have you heard about Paisley?" Malik asked as another girl approached him with a guy next to her. Ember had never seen her around before but she was very pretty.