eavesdropping

"I didn't know that elves had security cameras," Sophie observed, crouching down beside Keefe to look at her iPad from the Forbidden Cities which he had hooked up to the hidden cameras in the restaurant.

"We do- oh look, here they come."

Marella and Fitz walked in at the same moment, their shoulders bumping together.

"Hey Marella,"  Fitz said casually; just friendly and fun, not flirty.

"Hey... what are you doing here?"

"Blind date,"  Fitz told her with an noticeable grimace.  "I'm just heading over to the table by the second row of French doors.  I came a bit early."

Fitz pointed to the table in question and Marella...

First her face turned green, and then white, and then red... and Sophie's heart pounded with relief as it settled to pink.  

"Really?  Well... I have to get over to my table too."

And Sophie nearly snorted out the mallowmelt she'd just stuffed in her mouth at Fitz's expression as Marella took the seat right across from him.

-----------------

Marella had never been to a blind date.

And the romantic setting was perfect- a little two seated table by white French doors outlining a moonlit beach.  The space was illuminated with a flicker of romantic yellow light.  And Marella was both dreading and looking forward to who Sophie had chosen for her.

When she'd broken up with Dex.... God.  She'd thought she'd never learn to love again.  He was sweet and cute and smart and funny and an adorable self-conscious personality that still made her heart flutter.  And when Dex decided to register for the match, despite his earlier hesitance, Marella was sure that everything would work out.

And then Stina.

Stina! Dex and Stina were assigned as partners for Metaphysics and the next thing she knew, she was tossed to the curb, seeing them kissing like she'd been with Dex just a week ago...

And now Fitz?

As she took a seat across from him, his face went white- and then he just smiled.

Wow- she never thought that she would be one of those shallow girls that giggled and had their hearts melted at Fitz Vacker's smile.

First time for everything.

"You're my blind date?"  He asked, with a tone that was utterly unreadable.

"I guess?"  Marcella smiled flirtatiously- and frankly, unapologetically -and then wanted to slap herself.

What was she thinking? She refused to be one of those mindless girls following him in the hallways, getting all weak-kneed and sappy whenever he flashed them that stupid grin...

Although he was kinda cute....

That perfect mix between close cropped and shaggy dark hair, beautiful round teal eyes, and soft yet handsome features that made her heart sink to her feet in longing...

Snap out of it! She chided herself- but her usual angry subtext was noticeably more subdued....

-------------------

"They're falling for each other...."  Sophie hissed in Keefe's ear.  He laughed and peered at them closer- and they were.

He smirked as Marella got up to go to the bathroom and Fitz checked his reflection in the mirror to make sure he didn't look too disheveled.  He tore a hand through his hair and lit up like the lamps flickering above them as Marella emerged, smoothing out her wet hands on her dress.

"So... how are you and Dex?"  Fitz asked, sounding non-chalan. 

Beside him, Sophie flinched, and Keefe winced right along with her.  

"Don't talk about your date's ex!"  Sophie murmured, like she was standing behind him giving dating tips.

Marella hesitated, and part of her sweet, calm manner fell like bricks crumbling in the tide- but then she regained her composure and told him, "Alright."

-----------------

So how are you and Dex?!

What the heck was Fitz thinking? Her expression looked both hurt and horrified and his forehead was sweating like crazy as she mumbled uncomfortably, "Alright."

Fitz... really liked Marella.  Maybe not loved yet.  But she was fun and sweet and just a tad bit gossipy- yet she didn't mind getting her hands dirty.  And she was brave, and special, and powerful and super unique.

And she reminded him of Biana.

Fitz reached over to grab his cup- his face probably still stuck in a dopey grin, eyes centered straight on Marella -and then disaster struck.

His hand hit the rim and water spilled over the tablecloth.  Turning red, he reached for a napkin and spilled the container of forks, clanging them onto the floor. Still not able to look at Marella- or anyone else who was staring - he ducked under the table and as his head came up, it hit the edge....

Everything on top bumped.

Something spilled, dripping its contents onto his professionally styled hair and Marella yelped....

And Fitz raised his head to see his date covered in a mixture of chocolate, caramel, melted marshmallows, food, pasta sauce, water, and ketchup.

And her expression looked dangerous.

Whew! An 800 word chapter- and two in a day mind you.  Hope you guys liked it... and for all the boys out there; if you're ever my BF and you do that to me, I'm walking straight out the door and never looking back- sorry not sorry.

But ouch- Fitzy's in trouble.  And can you even imagine Keefe's reaction?!

🤣