Chapter 15

It happened when I was in 1st grade.

I was asked by our teacher when I happened to be walking in the hallway to bring the books she'll be using for class. Since I am in that very class she'll be having a lesson, she called out for me. I immediately nodded my head and do as she asked me.  It was not that much but enough for a 6 year old kid like me to have his sight blocked by the books. Not to mention it was heavy too that it took great effort to brought it with me until I reach for my class.

While walking in the hallway with much difficulty I bumped to someone while the books on my hand all fell on the floor.

I was about to go pick it up after apologizing to the other party but I froze when angry voices of girls rang in front of me.  I raised my head to see who it was and to my horror,  it was the notorious Bettina Reinhart who reigns all the girls of our grade.  She's an Haute Monde member and everyone admires her.

Girls are jealous of her because they can't be her while boys was scared of her.  Even though we are only 6 year old,   Reinhart-san has this sophisticated and cold aura that would make everyone who don't stand on the equal grounds with her will feel intimidated.

I bowed my head and apologized for how many times that I even feel my hands tremble and my voice stutter.

Making her mad at me would be so troublesome for she can easily oppress me and have a difficult life in this school. However,  to my surprise, she apologized!

Eh?

What is this?

Eh?

I was so surprised that I was stupefied by her attitude. But seeing the hostile gazes of her lackeys,  I repeatedly bowed my head to apologize however he suddenly asked for my name.  I was beyond reluctant to say it thinking she might held a grudge towards me and let me live a disastrous school life in Lassier.

However, contrary to her demeanor and what people say,  Reinhart-san was surprisingly kind. She might be cold and strict because of her appearance but she was surprisingly warm inside.

Maybe because of the environment where she grew up that she had such kind of expression and would often be misunderstood by others.

Reinhart-san and I became closer as I gained a lot of confidence because of her.  Being friends with her sure is amazing.  Maybe she's just shy to show it but she's unexpectedly kind.

In the 2nd grade,  Reinhart-san and I went to different classes until 3rd grade.

In fact,  I have heard from my classmate that Reinhart-san participated in School's outreach program which was very novel. 

As someone as noble as her to actually go and volunteer, it gave quite a shock.  What's more is that, according to my classmate who was also there,  Reinhart-san was easy to get along with and had a good time playing with the kids from the foundation. However, this news was not spread and made known to everyone since Reinhart-san plead to the teachers to not let other know for it might cause conflict because she was,  after all,  a member of Haute Monde. 

Reinhart-san once again became my classmate at 4th grade. I was choosen as the Class Rep for the whole year and saw Reinhart-san from the corner riased her fist to cheer me.

I was surprised but nonetheless, thankful.  Our bond became stronger when the preparations for our class presentation happen.

From helping me assigning the roles,  and helping me with making the costumes and props.

In fact,  when I was on my way out of school to go home, I was cornered by Reinhart-san's girls. Her girls,  since she kept on calling them "My girls". They cornered me and told me stuffs like I shouldn't get ahead of myself and get close to Reinhart-san for she was of a noble birth.  Or,  I shouldn't drag Reinhart-san and make her do such menial task.

I can't help but feel scared towards the girls since they look really serious  and all. But Reinhart-san was naturally kind in a cold way that I was getting used to it.

The incident with the messed up costumes and the issue with Emily-san's group made the friendship we built grew stronger that I got the guts to start calling her Betti-chi. 

She was surprised but later on laughed saying it was lovely,  cute and stuff. And with that,  I got another scary warnings from her girls.

When Betti-chi confronted Emily-san's group in a very cool and domineering way, Betti-chi was branded Lady Boss by the kids.

Actually Betti-chi got a quite a number of titles such as 'Lady Boss',  'Cold Queen'and other silly titles that Prinary schooler could think of.

At Cultural Fest,  I tried inviting Betti-chi to watch my recital since she decided to join the arts exhibition instead of the music recital.  I didn't got an answer from her but I was anticipating. However the anticipation turned into nothing when rumours about Lomiere-san asking Betti-chi if she were to join the recital. According to the circulating rumours, Lomiere-san was being considerate and afraid he might offend Betti-chi's feelings if he were to compete against Betti-chi. Students were all expecting the two to be together since they believe that only Betti-chi can match Lomiere-san's status.

And when I asked Betti-chi about it,  she laughed and denied all of it and said Lomiere-san was simply  trying to get rid all the possible threats of his victory. It may sounded a bit conceited but I couldn't think of any other reasons behind it.

Contrary to what I expected,  Betti-chi came to watch my recital and even brought a bouquet of sunflower.  I was shy and couldn't help but brush my hair with my fingers. A moment after Betti-chi left,  a pair of eyes were coldly watching the scene unfold that I suddenly felt chill ran through my spines.