Chapter 60: Homecoming Night

hi guys! i was going to wait until i uploaded this but WE JUST HIT TWO MILLION! step-brothers got over two million reads and I am SO thankful to everyone who has supported me and i appreciate everything you guys have done for me.

this chapter is probably the longest chapter ive written but you guys deserve this :) thank you so much everyone <3

D Y L A N

"If you're going to say something, just spit it out," Jayden groaned, putting his controller on the couch. He stretched then stood up, sighing. "I'm tired."

"So am I," I told him. "And lower the volume before teachers find out we snuck a whole damn monitor and games."

"Who cares?" Owen said, dropping onto his bed. "School ends in five minutes. Since we can't leave until that stupid bell rings, might as well do whatever we want."

"Dylan, come hang out with us," Jayden said, shutting off the monitor. "We're going to hang and get ready for homecoming."

"Why aren't you even coming, anyways?" Owen asked.

"I don't have anyone to go with," I answered. "Besides, I dont like cheesy things, a homecoming proposal would be—"

"Evanna was pretty upset," Owen pointed out.

"Yeah, I heard," I said through my teeth. "Why'd you guys even think— let's give fake hope to her and allow me to then crush her heart by saying I wasn't going. Nice one."

"We all thought you were," Jayden said. "It's so obvious you like her—"

"Get over yourself. You guys are so childish."

"It's called having fun," Owen said. "So, what's the real reason you're not going?"

"No reason to go if I don't have anyone. Too lazy to dress up. Dances are not my thing."

"Yeah, but it's to have fun. Go with friends. Who needs girls?" Jayden told me, punching me lightly in the shoulder.

"Obviously you do," Owen said, laughing. "You're a total simp for Mia. How do you know she even likes you back? Didn't she like Dylan?"

Jayden shook his head. "It's homecoming, not that deep."

"She's going with Taylor," I said. "I don't care about homecoming."

"Are you jealous?"

"Well another guy is taking the girl I like to a dance."

"So you do like her?"

"You said it was obvious, I thought we established this a while ago?" I questioned, rolling my eyes. "I'm busy with schoolwork anyways."

"Fine, do whatever pleases you, your highness," Owen told me, getting up. "Come on, JJ, lets go annoy Ev and her friends."

Jayden laughed, grabbing his phone. "Alright. We'll see you tomorrow, Dylan!"

"Whatever!" I called out as they walked out, closing the door. My head sunk into the pillow as I stared up at the ceiling.