The Return of Quaid, Part 2/5

Later on, the gang sit down with a huff. They've been trying to rally the people of Vardaros for hours, but no luck.

     Rapunzel sighs. "I can't believe we couldn't inspire one person."

     "Oh, I don't know," Shorty says, holding a dead fish. "That lovely young lady handing out fish seemed inspired." He quickly chows down on the fish, leaving nothing but the bones behind, and leans against Varian.

" He quickly chows down on the fish, leaving nothing but the bones behind, and leans against Varian

     "That was a seagull," Cassandra tells him as Varian pushes the old man away from him.

     "No, I'm pretty sure that was a rainbow trout," Shorty replies.

     "I don't get it!" Rapunzel says, ignoring them. "Why won't these people let me help them?" She looks out at the residents of the city passing by.

     "Because you're an outsider," Vex says as she approaches the group, once again pushing a cart of weapons. "Also, you're a naive princess who insists the glass is half full, even when it's obviously bone-dry. That's a really annoying trait, especially here."

     "Don't talk to our princess like that!" Varian speaks up.

     "It wasn't that long ago, you felt that way about her," Cassandra points out.

     Does she have to keep bringing that up? Varian thinks, giving her an irritated glare.

     "I just tell it how it is," Vex says. She turns her attention back to Rapunzel. "You're basically everything people in this city despise."

     "You could have stopped at outsider... But, okay, get it," Rapunzel says. "The people need someone they trust. Someone who can offer a long-term solution. Someone they look up to." She thinks about this as Pascal squeaks in agreement. "Now, who would that be?"

     "If I may offer a suggestion, don't people typically build statues of people they admire?" Varian says. When Rapunzel gives him a confused glance, he points in the direction of a gold statue in the shadows —a smiling man holding a child's hand.

     Rapunzel eagerly rushes to check the statue over, but as the sunlight shifts and shines upon it, she realizes that the statue hasn't been kept up and is covered in bird droppings. A bird is even perched upon it at the very moment, squawking at her as she approaches.