31| so it begins

Sorry i was gone for so long, school is such a pain, but im here now <3

This chapter is dedicated to Captain_Marvel_06

These two months have been stressful, but reading your comments and knowing that you enjoy my book always brings a smile to my face <3

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

Black clouds sprawled across the sky, billowing in from the east, as rows of elves and men stood atop the walls of the Hornburg. The very air we breathed seemed dense and heavy. It was almost suffocating.

Everyone was silent as we stood in wait.

The faint marching of the Uruk Hai army was a steady, ever-approaching beat in the distance. One that we could not run from. We could only listen as the distant screeches and growls drew nearer second by second.

An agonizing sense of dread consumed my mind as I watched the immense army fill the valley like a sea of black.

Beside me, a low growl rumbled from Aldion's throat.

The air shook with a crack of thunder as a jagged bolt of white hot lightning clove the sky in two, illuminating the land with a blinding flash. A steady rain began to fall upon us, pelting against the metal armour of the men, and the cold bite of the water against my skin sent shivers down my spine.

The Uruk army continued to march towards us, the sea of torches, spears and armour advancing closer and closer with every passing second. Their cold, cruel weapons glinted wickedly in the rain.

Beside me, Legolas stood, poised and unmoving, his bow resting in his hand as he scanned the gorge before him. His skin glistened in the rain, and though the lightning flashed against the icy blue of his eyes, he seemed unbothered, unfazed; relaxed, almost. Amidst the fear and tension around us, the elven prince was a calming presence, and I felt the constant worries that plagued my mind ease slightly.

I sighed inwardly.

Perhaps I had been too abrupt before, too harsh when he enquired about my past. But how could one possibly share such a story? How would he ever be able to speak to me again knowing that I was the downfall of an entire race of the Eldar. It was a sensitive topic to say the least, but I began to feel that my coldness towards him was nonetheless unwarranted. I wanted to apologise, but the brink of battle did not seem like the right time to do so.

But there was a biting feeling in the back of my mind: would I even have another chance?

It didn't matter, I told myself. He had no right to poke around my past, and I had no obligation to tell him.

The downpour grew even heavier, pelting upon us mercilessly as we stood in wait. My hair lay flat against my cheeks, cold rain dripping from my eyelashes, leaving icy trails against my skin.

Aragorn's voice rang clear over top of the sounds of the storm.

"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!"

(Show them no mercy for you shall receive none!)

A guttural roar was emitted from the Uruk army, and they came to a halt before the Deeping Wall.

As Legolas and Gimli bantered, my eyes could not help but search the hordes of Uruks below, looking for one face.

One set of steel grey eyes.