XXXIX| "It's about to rain."

No no edit

Melody

"Is it supposed to smell like that?" I ask, peeking from behind E.

"No, I don't think it is..." Nice responds, from behind me,

"Go away the two of you," E shoos, "stop bothering me,"

I turn back to Nice and shake my head, "I'm sure he's burning it..." I whisper, Nice nods, pulling me away from the BBQ and towards Cayden who was sat on the swing besides Joe, both with a drink in their hand and deep in conversation.

While I notice Smirks, leaning against the fence towards Ms Verms garden, I walk towards him instead, confused as to what he was concentrating so hard on.

I quietly tiptoe behind him, "Boo!" I shout, causing him to jump up and glare at me, I laugh, "I thought you were a highly-skilled assassin,"

He narrows his eyes at me, "my guards were down and also, you scared the kitten away,"

I blankly stare at him, "again, I thought you were a highly-skilled assassin... That apparently has a soft spot of kittens," wait, kitten?

He smirks, going into a slight daze, "only feisty ones,"

I roll my eyes at him and huff while muttering to myself, "what is it with men and 'kitten',"

Smirks shrugs, pulling me away and towards Cayden, "we're not very original with nicknames," very true

I was about to respond when I hear the doorbell, "oh that must our guest!" I pull away from Smirks and run back inside, heading straight for my door.

"Hey!" I greet, opening the door to find the grinning man on the other end. Oh no...

He holds his hand up and smiles wider at me, "hey,"

"You actually came," I awe while moving out the way so you can enter. I'm so dead.

"Of course I did," he says, holding out a box of chocolates for me, "you mentioned these were your favourite once,"

I nod, taking them out his hands, "thank you, surprised you remembered. Everyone's in the back, let me put this away and I'll join you," he nods while we part ways, I head to the kitchen to put the box of chocolates away, using this as an excuse to prepare myself for everyone's reaction. You can do this Melody!

Taking a deep breath, I turn around only to find an unamused Cayden standing at the entrance with his arms folded.

"Yeah...I messed up," I say, giving Cayden an awkward smile.

He raises a brow at me, "you think?"

I shake my head and walks towards him, "no, I know I did... But I didn't wanna seem rude, I mentioned the BBQ and then he was just staring at me, I felt bad so I had to invite him. It's like telling someone, I'm gonna order pizza and not offering any..."

He sighs and shakes his head at me, "Melody,"

"I'm sorry," I frown, trying to worm myself out this, I reach forward to wrap my arms around him, "it not like I invited my ex to our wedding..."

Cayden buries his face in my neck and sighs, "it totally is," no it's not...

I roll my eyes at him, "It's more like I invited a cop to a heist..."