Chapter 18

The brief, fleeting contact of our lips was enough for Sky's ex to pause at the door at a loss for words

His attention bounced from me to Sky as if he couldn't fathom what he'd witnessed. However, I didn't see distress— I saw anger and bafflement in the steely eyes he turned on the girl next to me.

"Unbelievable," he gritted through his teeth before stalking off and running down the stairs.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Sky asked with a withering look on her face before shoving me away and pushing past me.

I saw her rush to her bedroom, still wearing her heels that clicked on our wooden floors.

Cursing under my breath, I locked the front door and went after Sky.

I should've knocked on her door, but I  didn't. She was sitting on her bed, looking at her manicured nails.

"Sky."

"Go away."

I hated the stricken look on her face. It was even worse because I knew that what I had to say would hurt her more than the show I put up in front of that prick to make him disappear.

"Sky, I—"

"You what, Liam?" Sky turned her head toward me, giving me a stern, almost belligerent look. "You think it's okay to go ahead and kiss me against my will to prove a point? What did you want to prove, anyway? You went out with someone yesterday, and you get all pissed when I want to do the same?"

"That's not it."

"Right." Sky got up from the bed and kicked off her high heels, making one of the shoes fly across the room and land dangerously close to me. "You're confusing. I don't know what you want from me. Let me tell you this: what I do and who I do it with is none of your business."

"It is my damn business," I bit out. "I sure as fuck didn't want it to be, but it is. If I didn't want you to go out with that dickhead, it was for a valid reason, Sky. I wouldn't have kissed you if I hadn't been desperate for you to stay at home."

A flicker of something crossed Sky's face. "I know," she whispered. "I know you wouldn't kiss me, Liam. Now go away."

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and leaned against Sky's bedroom door, blocking the exit. "I won't go anywhere until you listen to what I have to say. First of all, about yesterday—"

"Fuck whoever you want. I don't care. Anything else?"

My gaze traveled over Sky's face before I found the courage to look her in the eye.

"Today wasn't the first time I'd seen your ex," I said.

Sky frowned. "What do you mean?"

I uncrossed my arms and let them drop to my sides before I shoved my sweaty hands in the pockets of my slacks. "A week after I moved in with you, I went to a business lunch in a restaurant and saw you there with him. I overheard your conversation. Then, when you left, I heard that dickhead say shit about you to his coworkers."