Very Serious Danger

We awoke to the doorknob jiggling. Most of the boys who heard it rang their bell frantically, waking up the rest of the the Newsies. Finch and Race nodded to each other and left to check it out.

"Jack?" Finch asked cautiously.

"Yeah!" Jack called through the door. I heard the door open and a bunch of people rushed in.

"You said Snyder was here?" A man asked gruffly.

"Yes sir." Jack responded.

"Mister Kelly, you and your friends could be in very serious danger." That was Joseph Pulitzer's voice. By now, the rest of the boys began to slowly creep out of our hiding place. It was Joe Pulitzer, a tall boy, Katherine, Jack, Albert, Jojo, a medic, and maybe seven bulls. The bulls were inspecting the damage. The medic unwrapped Smalls' arm and put some kind of gauze over it. Pulitzer, Jack, Katherine, Race, and the tall boy were talking. Jack beckoned me over to talk to them.

"Mista Pulitzer, this is Olive. Our newest Newsie." Jack said. I shook the old man's hand.

"I work for ya?" I check.

"Yes." He nodded, monocle's chain jingling.

"I'm David Jacobs." The tall boy introduced himself. I shook his hand as well.

"His names Davey." Jack whispered to me. I nodded.

"So," Pulitzer looked around. "This is the hole you all live in."

"Well would ya ratha us live with you?" Jack fired back.

"I would not." The ginger man growled.

"Jack!" Finch shouted. "We know where Snyder could be."

"And where would that be?" Pulitzer turned to the boy.

"Unda da library, sir." He replied.

"And why is that?" The publisher asked.

"Because Snyder told Kailem ta meet him unda da Quiet Place." Finch told him. "Dat might be where he took Romeo, Specs, and Buttons."

"And my sista." I muttered.

"You's got a sista?" Finch turned to me.

"Yeah." I replied. "Kailem took her."

"Well, then." Pulitzer put away his monocle. "We very well may have a lead."

"Mister Pulitzer!" One of the policemen called. "The gun that was shot was a Colt M1900." 

The cop was holding up a bullet, possibly the one that skimmed Smalls.

"Thank you, sir." The man nodded, examining the bullet before turning to me. "If this theory is correct, we could get your sister back for you."

"Thank you." I smiled politely. By now, everyone was out in the open.

"We will inspect the Library Underground immediately." Pulitzer decreed. "The Newsies that will come as Jack, Davey, Albert, Elmer, and Olive."

No-one was opposed.

The ginger man turned to Finch. "You are going to take my daughter home."

Finch nodded discreetly. Then the selected Newsies, Pulitzer, six of the bulls, and the medic left for the Library. One officers stayed behind to guard the fellas. We all climbed into a big carriage, and we all were coursing with adrenaline by the time we reached the library.

"Newsies in the back, they may be armed." One of the bulls barked. Pulitzer picked up a gun and led the Newsies into the basement behind the bulls. We were immediately greeted by gunfire. A bullet whizzed past my ear. The policemen and Pulitzer fired a few shots in the dark, and a familiar voice cried out. And there was a thud.

"Drop the weapons!" A bull bellowed. A single clatter. The bull repeated more loudly: "Drop all of the weapons!"

There was a few more clangs, metal hitting concrete. Probably guns. Someone lit a match and found the light switch, flicked it, and the room lit up. To my horror, there was dozens of people down here. There were kids and adults sitting against the wall, all of them injured. I scanned the people and saw four people I recognized. Specs, Buttons, Romeo, and Harriet. Snyder was sprawled out on the floor, blood gushing from a hole in his thigh. Kailem was standing against the wall, hands in the air. A bull threw him to the floor and cuffed him. Another one cuffed Snyder. The Newsies rushed to the people and freed them. I started with Harriet.

"Bailey?" She muttered. She was beaten up badly.

"Yeah." I responded. "I's go by Olive now."

"Olive." My older sister echoed. "From Olivia?"

"Yeah." I finished untying her and put her arm around my shoulder to lift her and bring her to the medic. I laid her down in front of him

"What's your name?" He asked gently, dressing her injuries.

"Harriet." She muttered, almost unaware of her surroundings.

"How old are you, Harriet?" The medic questioned, trying to distract her.

"I's eighteen." She replied.

"She's got four broken ribs, a broken leg, and many bad cuts." He whispered to me. "She'll have to be in the hospital for awhile. Good news is, no-ones worse than hers."

"I guess that's good." I nodded.

"You go take her to the carriage." He ordered. I complied and helped her out.

"Need any help?" It was Elmer.

"Yes please." I smiled. The boy came over and lifted her up into the carriage and put her on the seat.

"Thanks." I told him, climbing up beside Harriet. "I should stay with her."

He nodded. "I'll stay too."

Harriet's curly blonde hair was matted and dirty, and her face was ridden with bruises.