~ 33 ~

~ Chapter Thirty Three ~

The loud roar that John made, was effective in grabbing everyone's attention. Especially the two dragons in the air. Zander and Kaene defeated the remaining dragon that was up against them just in time. They allowed the dragon's remains to fall into pieces as they floated downwards. I momentarily wondered whether or not it was the man I had spoken to earlier. If it was him, the darker half of my personality felt relieved that he's dead. My nicer counterpart felt sad at the fact that another life was meaninglessly thrown away.

Both, Zander and Kaene, didn't morph back to humans. Instead, they sprung to action as soon as they heard John's roar. They noticed all the dark pixies flooding out of the forest and went after them. Everyone else went into defense mode. The men and women who were known as warriors, shifted into their dragons and opened up their wings. They created a temporary barrier for everyone else to make their escape.

I watched as every dragon carried the young and old towards the sky. Flying off to who knows where.

Before my eyes were shielded from the pixies, I noticed them carrying vases. Deep down, I knew the sirens were inside them. How? Because I always wondered why they never really went after their enemies if they had the power to stop them. Then I remembered my first encounter with one of the sirens. She wasn't physically there, yet she used some kind of ability to appear in water form. Then my second encounter only happened to be with her voice. A voice that drifted off along with the bowl of water the pixie had picked up.

The sirens couldn't be without water for too long. They're like fish. They can't survive unless they're inside the water or filter their power into it in order to appear in a ghostly manner.

However, I've come to realize one important thing. I think the reason they're after this powerful ring is because their power gets depleted after every use.

I thank myself for being interested in so many movies. It's how I've come to learn that the villain always has a weakness that can be used against them.

"Kaida!"

I turned around to Ruby calling my name. She was at the entrance of the cave. The guys must have entered because they were no where in sight. She looked panicked and anxious.

"Kaida, we have to retrieve the ring and escape."

I nodded and ran towards her. Just as I got two feet from her, more chaos broke out.

We both turned to the screams behind us. The barrier the dragons had made with their wings, collapsed one by one. The pixies had latched themselves onto the dragons that were hypnotized by the sirens. The small creatures began to bite and rip the scaled skin off. Causing blood to spill everywhere.

I watched in horror as these dragons were being skinned alive.

Ruby grabbed my hand and pulled me inside the cave. "We can't waste anymore time. lets go!"

I mutely nodded and ran beside her.

We ran past many people, and dragons, running out of the cave. However, we came to an abrupt stop when we felt the walls shaking. I leaned against the wall, lifting my arms to shelter me from the falling rocks. Ruby tripped and fell to her knees. A few small rocks hit her face, giving her mild scratches on her cheeks.

"It's too dangerous to go any further!" I said loudly.

Ruby ignored me and got up. "The shaking stopped. Lets go."

I knew she was afraid. I can see it in her eyes as she looked down the hall. She wasn't just afraid of her own life. She was also afraid to lose the man she just accepted as her mate. Landon was somewhere within this cave and whether or not we find the ring, Ruby isn't leaving without her man.

"Aren't you concerned about the shaking just now?" I huffed out the words as we increased our speed.

"It just means the fight is-" Ruby suddenly stopped running. "Here."

Ruby turned the corner into the room I know all too well. The very room I had met her in. A room I definitely don't want to enter.

Ruby and I slowly walked into the area that contained the hot springs. The very place I had bathed in multiple times through the duration of my stay here.

It's also a place that contained lots and lots of running water.

Landon and Mickel stood in the middle of the room as if they were statues. And the reason why was standing just in front of them. Two sirens were standing near the edge of the water, their eyes locked onto the men as they sung lowly.

The two of them looked surreal as they stood tall, using the tip of their mermaid-like tails. Their oddly blue skin tone was covered in a few fish scales with gills moving in and out at the side of their waists. Their head contained fins where their ears were suppose to be. And their unblinking eyes were entirely black, just like their long hair.

Their true form was as ugly as the mystical form I had first encountered.

Ruby angrily walked in. "What is going on here? How did you get in here?"

I held Ruby back by grabbing her arm. She just ruined a perfect opportunity of a sneak attack. Now we're both exposed to these creatures.

The two sirens ignored us and continued singing towards the men. They even began to slither out of the water to get closer to them.

When they were completely out of the water, their blue skin now turned darker as black veins appeared on their bodies. Their mermaid tails remained, yet the scales were peeling and falling off on their own. Part of their inner flesh could be seen as they scraped themselves along the floor.

The women, naked from the waist up, wrapped themselves around the men and lightly ran their fish hands around them.

I cringed as the men were being touched vulgarly. Ruby steamed beside me as she watched in anger.

"Don't mind them. They're playing with their meals."

Both Ruby and I turned to the right. Where the voice I know all too well came from.

I'm finally face to face with the woman who manipulated me.

She looked just like the other sirens. Only she had more power and you can feel it in the air around her.

I held onto Ruby tighter. I had a really bad feeling. And this time I really want to trust it and go run off to a safer place.

"Let them go." Ruby demanded.

The leader of the sirens chuckled evilly. "Why? I need at least one to sacrifice."

My eyes widened. She's going to force them into using the ring for her.

Ruby ripped her arm away from me and quickly shifted into her dragon form. I stood mesmerized at how her large form settled over my body without squishing me.

Ruby was beautiful. Her dragon was a dark red color, almost burgundy. And her eyes were bright green. Just like her human eyes.

She growled lowly and watched her enemies carefully.

At a time like this, I wished I could shift in a dragon too because I don't want to be the human in distress.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 8/3/20

Enjoyed it? Comment & Vote!