Chapter Thirty

I took a sip of my iced coffee, and swirled my straw around the glass.

"Hey, look at me." Callum said, lifting my chin up with his index finger. Our eyes met, and my breath hitched.

"You believe me, don't you? That I couldn't, I wouldn't do that to you." He said, holding my hand.

I nodded. "I do now, but it was hard Callum, it was. When I saw you in that bed with her, I felt like I was going to die. I know that sounds extreme, but it's true, I thought that maybe you had unresolved feelings for Kelly and seeing her again brought them back up. I thought you didn't feel about me the way I feel about you."

He looked at me incredulously.
"Dylan, I have no feelings for that girl whatsoever. Her doing this just reaffirmed that for me. She did this to break us, she wanted to hurt me and the only way she could do that was by hurting you. I love you sugarplum, you're the love of my life. Don't you get that?" He smiled softly.

I quickly wiped the stray tear that fell from my eye.

"I love you too, Callum. I'm sorry that I doubted you, I promise that if we're ever in a situation like this again, I will talk to you instead of running away. I just didn't know what else to do." I said.

"You can always talk to me, no matter how hard the conversation might be." He said, looking into my eyes.

I nodded, and leaned across the table, pressing my lips against his.

"Let's get out of here." He said, standing and putting a twenty dollar bill on the table. I stood up and interlocked our hands as we walked out of the restaurant.

"Where are we going?" I asked, buckling my seatbelt in.

"The beach." Callum replied, his eyes lit up.

"What? I'm not prepared for the beach, we don't even have swimwear. Plus it's basically November, it's not really beach weather."

"Well then it's a good thing we live in Southern California where it's hot." He smirked. "As for a bathing suit, you won't be needing one, I have a blanket in the trunk, and we are just gonna lay out and relax, no need to panic." He laughed.

"But Callum.." I groaned.

"No but's. We just need to have a chill day and spend some time together, is that too much to ask?"

"I guess not, it's just that, I don't do stuff like this. I never skip school, and certainly not to go to the beach."

"Live a little Dyl, we're not going to be able to do this when we go to college." He replied.

The last time I told myself to live a little, I got blackout drunk. Let's just hope this time is different.

When we got to the beach, not many people were here, and we set up our blanket close to the ocean. I began to tell him about Justin leaving and the conversation we had before he left. Callum was upset that he wasn't able to "have a word with him" before he'd gone. I told him about how Mel and Eliza reacted to Justin leaving, and he was just as shocked as I was, saying that he could believe they could have actual human emotions. He told about the two days we weren't together and how his family instantly knew something was wrong as soon as he came home. He said that he didn't have it in him to tell them what had happened on our trip, and I was glad about that. We vowed to never use his late grandparents cabin again, even though there were some fond memories that we had there that I personally couldn't ever forget.

"I haven't been to the beach in years." I smiled, looking up af the sky.

"Yea? Why is that?" Callum asked, his head turned to me.