S i x : No Paint, No Gain

Quick note: if you made this graphic pls message me! I think you changed your username but I'd love to give you a dedication <3

S i x : No Paint, No Gain

"Erika, are you listening?"

I quickly avert my gaze from the clock at the front of the classroom and smile apologetically at Ellis. He's the line-backer of the football team, and Dylan introduced us. Stocky build, warm brown eyes and a jaw too rounded to be objectively hot but firmly situates him in the sweetly handsome category. He's sweet and I should be focused on what he's saying, not watching every minute tick by like a maniac.

So why are you so distracted?

"I'm so sorry, El," I murmur, closing my notebook. "I'm a bit out of it today."

"It's alright." He bumps his elbow against mine playfully. "Can I help?"

"I don't think so."

Before I can stop it, my gaze flits back up to the clock on the wall. It's five minutes to noon now, and I need to leave to meet Chase. Nevertheless, my body is refusing to co-operate and I haven't moved an inch. Why am I not moving?

Around me, the ambient noise suddenly feels louder. Every hushed conversation, every scribble of Biro on paper, every book page slicing through the air suddenly feels incriminating. This is the part where I get up, meet Chase and catch him vandalising Mr Blythe's car. This is the harsh end- so why don't I want to do it?

"Miss Monroe?" My teacher, an elder woman with a nice smile, looks at me with raised eyebrows. "Is there a reason you're not working?"

I clear my throat and force myself into action after several seconds of staring aimlessly at the wall. "Sorry, Miss, I'm just not feeling very well."

For added effect, I place a hand on my stomach. I can see Ellis' concerned expression in my peripheral vision, but I stare forwards determinedly. This is it. Don't shy away now.

Mrs Taylor's eyebrows seemed to have disappeared into her hairline at my lack of sassy comment. "Would you like to go to the nurse's office, Erika?"

"Yes, thank you."

I clutch my stomach in fake pain, the weight of my class' gazes heavy on my back as I pack my things hurriedly. Nodding a quick goodbye to Ellis, I rush my way to the front of the classroom before I can cower out of this terrible decision. My breath doesn't release until I'm standing outside, in the cooler hallway. Get it over with.

I walk as quickly as I can, focusing my mind on the slap of my sneakers on the floor to distract from the sickening twist of guilt in my stomach. My phone feels hot in my back pocket, like a weapon that I'm trying to hide.

Only when I finally reach the bike sheds do my steps slow. Hidden from the view of windows, the bike shed is notorious for smokers at lunchtime and couples that want to make out. The structure itself is old and rotting, with a padlock on the door and a window meshed with spider's webs.

I grit my teeth as I sneak around the exterior. Where the hell is Chase?

"You came, then."

I jump at the voice behind me and the warm breath tickling my ear. After a few seconds of cold surprise, my expression morphs into a scowl and I whirl around to face the dark-haired asshole snickering unashamedly at my reaction.

"That's funny," I snap, pressing a hand over my thumping heart. "I thought it was only spiders that hang out near this shed, but clearly there's snakes too."