iii. hat's warning

CHAPTER THREE:
( hat's warning )

CHAPTER THREE:( hat's warning )

▂✫⌒*・゚

             THE GREAT HALL IS not any better than the train ride had been. Venus's only source that gives her a time to visibly relax happens to be when she first notices that Professor McGonagall continues working as their head of house. Truthfully, she thought that the older woman would no longer be there. McGonagall (or Minnie as she likes to call her sometimes) had been Deputy Headmistress among Dumbledore's leadership so Venus only thought the worse when it came to her. Then again, how dare she underestimate one of the most powerful woman there is? Venus, no matter how annoying she is, would willingly give up her life to save that woman from harm and yet, McGonagall could probably save herself. She was not the only familiar professor sitting in the large table. Professor Flitwick, Professor Sprout, Professor Slughorn, and Hagrid were still there and she finds herself becoming slightly more calm. Defensive, but relaxed for the time being. Of course, a few were also still present, but others seemed to be missing or resigned... like Firenze no longer seemed to be there and neither Professor Burbage.

             Venus remembers reading about the Muggle Studies professor. Apparently, she resigned from her position, but Venus does not believe that statement coming from the press. Having taken that class, she recalls the numerous times that lovely old woman spoke freely about her beliefs that muggles are not so different than wizards and witches. A sudden chill went up her spine and she does not have to think much on why.

             Professor Burbage is dead.

             The thought of her old Muggle Studies professor being killed makes the dry food she is eating go up in her mouth once more and she grabs a napkin, quietly throwing up in it before making it vanish. From across her seat, Lizette gives her a concern look, her lips twisted upside down. She raises an eyebrow and even without her opening her mouth, Venus could clearly hear the words 'are you okay?' being asked. The older girl between them smiles softly and nods— come on, be happy!

             She makes her smile grow bigger as she waves at the first-years that were placed with the most bored tone coming from the Sorting Hat. It only begins getting interesting when the Sorting Hat starts singing— and this time he has different lyrics in the ending than the year before.

Apart from the divisions,
There is not much differences
In each's one blood,
For unity comes in all
Shapes and sizes
And the darkness then can
Be overcome.
Don't let the shadows
Take you over into
Someone you are not.
Beware of my—

             "Give me that bloody useless Hat!" A dark voice interrupts the Sorting Hat from singing any longer, snatching it from the stool upfront. Professor McGonagall takes a few steps back and places her lips into a thin line, turning away from the man who raises up the hat with an evil glare. Venus makes a face of disgust and scoffs out, "What bloody idiot gets mad over a hat?"