book 1 - chapter 21

My cousins, Korra, and I are standing on Air Temple Island's pier. I spent all day in bed yesterday, and I've been feeling much better. I've been able to walk and stand without any trouble. This morning, Korra did one final healing session and deemed me fit to proceed with my day-to-day activities. However, she still asked me to take it slow. I told her I would, but we'll see about that.

The wind blows my hair back and water droplets from the sea fall unto my skin. I smile, loving being near water. Closing in, is the ship that picked up Bolin, Mako, and Asami to collect them and their belongings. Today is their moving day, as they'll stay with us at Air Temple Island for an undetermined amount of time.

After a few moments, the ship closes in by the dock, and the anchor is thrown to the sea. We proceed to wave at our friends, excited that they've arrived.

"You're finally here!" Ikki cheers, moving both her arms flamboyantly. "Welcome to Air Temple Island! Your new home!"

"Yes," Meelo begins, proceeding to point at himself with his thumb. "Welcome to my domain."

As our three friends go down the plank and unto the dock, Bolin approaches Meelo. "Well, aren't you sweet, little monk child."

Pabu scurries off Bolin's shoulders, cirlces Meelo a few times, and the proceeds to climb on Naga. "What's that fuzzy creature?" Meelo asks, pointing at Bolin's pet.

"That is a fire ferret." Jinora clarifies, pointing her index finger upwards. "An arboreal mammal common to the bamboo forests of the central Earth Kingdom."

Ikki gasps in excitement and proceeds to chase him. "He's cuuuuute!"

My cousins then go on a rampage, chasing the fire ferret and bothering Naga. We all blink a few times, staring at them.

Then, Mako turns to face us. "Thanks for sending the air acolytes to help us with the move."

"Yes, they've been amazing!" Asami agrees. "Such tireless workers."

Two air acolytes proceed to bring down a totality of ten huge suitcases, trying their best not to drop anything. They start carrying everything towards the Air Temple. I blink in admiration, refusing to believe the amount of stuff that is before my eyes.

"Is that all yours?" I gawk.

"Yeah," Korra says, in awe. "I thought you were only bringing a few things."

"Trust me." Mako says, smirking at the both of us. "It could've been worse."

"How can there be more?" I whisper.

Korra nudges me. "No problem. Everyone here wants you guys to feel welcome."

Once everyone is off the ship, we all proceed to follow in the air acolytes' footsteps and into the temple. As we're walking, I notice Meelo staring intently at Asami, a red blush on his cheeks. Asami blinks in confusion. She raises an eyebrow.

"You're pretty." Meelo states, an immense smile on his face. "Can I have some of your hair?"

"Looks like I have some competition." Mako remarks, sending a smug smile to his girlfriend.

"And by the looks of it." I begin, teasing the firebender. "You're going to lose."

He chuckles and sends a smile my way. "How are you feeling? You look like you're doing much better."

"I feel tired." I answer honestly. "But I'm getting there."

"As always." Mako says nonchalantly. "I swear there's nothing you can't survive, ice girl."