•C h a p t e r T w e n t y•

Song for chapter twenty: Habits by Tove Lo

|Skyler|

"I'm so glad you're going to be coming to the party!" I heard Josie squeal over the phone as I hastily slapped on some foundation and concealer over my flaws, and a pimple that had magically appeared just today. "I've told you to come like a million times but you always said no."

"No, I said I didn't know," I responded, trying to keep my voice as level and upbeat as possible. The concealer was doing wonders for the puffiness on my cheeks.

"Okay whatever, you remember Austin's address right?" she asked me, "and remember to take the stairs, Ryan says he doesn't want us all crowding in the elevator."

"Yes, you only just told me a gazillion times. I'll see you there Josie," I said before hanging up the phone.

I sighed and studied myself in the mirror. The makeup did help to make it seem as though I had a normal afternoon. Not one that consisted of me sprinting out of a therapist's office in hysterics.

I walked back to my room and dug around my closet. I knew it didn't matter what I wore anyways considering the fact that everyone would be too drunk to notice.

My eyes landed on a dress that I had bought a couple years back for a party that my old friends had thrown. I had no clue why I bought it, but it was just right. It was an off the shoulder black, floral dress.

I threw it on and glanced in the full sized mirror in my room. It was a bit short since I had grown a bit since then, the hem ending mid thigh.

This wasn't something I would wear on a day to day basis, but for tonight it was just what I wanted. A night where I could forget everything and not be myself. I wasn't the girl who had a dead parents, and I wasn't the girl who bursted out of therapy drowning in tears.

I grabbed a small purse and stuffed my phone and some money in it before heading out the door.

Surprisingly, Austin's apartment was not far away from mine at all. Just a couple blocks away and a ten minute walk according to google maps.

The streets were still crowded with people, considering that it was a Friday night in New York City. I followed the GPS all the way to his building and entered. I knew right away that it was the right building, from the amount of teenagers giggling like madmen heading to the staircase, and also the amount stumbling out already drunk.

It's only nine at night, how are people already drunk?

It was a grand building, just as beautiful as Aunt Claire's. The lobby was painted white, along with white linoleum floors and the walls were adorned with paintings that looked ancient.

I opened the door to the staircase, and my eyes widened. Austin lived on the top floor of this building. On a fucking building with more than 20 floors. I wasn't gonna make it.