prologue.

PROLOGUE

the time before!

"JAMES SIRIUS POTTER there's mail for you!" Ginny Potter's voice rang out from the bottom of the stairs of the Potter home.

James rolled his eyes, but managed to push himself off of his bed, nearly tripping over the long legs of Fred Weasley ii, who was nearly half asleep while listening to James drone on about Quidditch and Lily Edwards. If Fred was being honest, he couldn't give two shits about how Lily's eyes sparkled when she laughed or how she had extremely kissable lips ( that would look so much better attached to James's than anyone else's ).

On his way down, James hesitated at Albus's door. He'd sequestered ever since what had happened at the beginning of the summer. He considered knocking, but decided against it as the Slytherin boy probably wouldn't take it well.

He walked quickly down the stairs and almost ran into the blue head of Teddy Lupin, who had finally come home after a holiday in Italy with Victoire.

"Watch it!" Teddy exclaimed as James rolled his eyes and lightly hit his chest.

"Watch yourself, lover boy," James teased with a grin.

"Rich coming from you," Teddy shot back. "Oh Lily! You're so fit! Let's run away and make a million babies!"

"Shut the fuck up," James grumbled as he blushed a little. "Maybe if she'd actually give me the time of day."

Maybe his obsession with her had gotten a little out of hand, but in his defense, he was enamored by her. The problem was, she wasn't with him, quite the opposite actually.

"Then maybe you shouldn't ask her out every two seconds," Teddy suggested with raised eyebrows.

"You said I had mail, mum?" James asked as he turned away from Teddy.

"I think it's your Hogwarts letters," Ginny muttered as she handed him a stack.

"Al! Lunes!" James called up the stairs. "Hogwarts letters!"

"I can't believe it's your last year, sweetheart!" Ginny cooed. "I remember mine. Your father decided he was too good for it, so he left me alone with your aunt and former Death Eaters."

"What can I say?" James asked awkwardly. "I'm getting old?"

"Give me the letter," Lily Luna demanded as she ran down the stairs, Albus quickly following her.

James handed both of them their letters and furrowed his eyebrows when he saw another letter from Hogwarts addressed to him, aside from his usual one. It felt heavier than the other two, so obviously he opened that one first ( because screw books and school, right? ).

There was a letter, but what shocked him the most was the red and gold pin that landed in his palm when he shook the envelope.

"Did McGonagall make you a prefect?" Lily Luna asked as she looked curiously.

"Oh dear lord, I'd hope not," Albus grumbled. "You're as qualified to be a prefect as I am to play for the Appleby Arrows."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," James said sarcastically.

He flipped the pin over in his hand and he felt like he wanted to throw up. It didn't read 'Prefect', but rather 'Head Boy'. He shook his head, there must've been a mistake — this pin surely belonged to Lorcan.

He pulled out the letter attached and low and behold, addressed to him, was Professor McGonagall asking him to accept the post.

"Professor McGonagall made me Head Boy," James mumbled as he looked up at his family.

They all started hysterically laughing. Ginny doubled over, but stood back up straight and wiped tears from her eyes.

"That's a great joke, sweetheart," she said with a chuckle. "What did she actually want?"

"No, she actually made me Head Boy," James said as he held out the pin and showed her the letter.

"Merlin," Ginny mumbled.

"What's going on?" Harry Potter asked as he entered his home for the first time since he'd left for work that morning.

"I think Professor McGonagall had a heart attack or something," Ginny mumbled as she read and reread the letter.

"Merlin," Harry exclaimed. "Is she ok?"

"Well, she just made James Head Boy," Ginny explained.

"James? Our James?" Harry asked as he walked over to Ginny and took the letter out of her hands. "Dear god why? I surely thought it would've been Lorcan."

"Shoot me now," Albus grumbled as he turned and walked back up to his room.

"I'll do it," Lily Luna called after him.

"Fuck you!" Albus shot back.

"Language!" Ginny called up to him.

"Mum, you literally called your new co-worker an abominable fucking goblin the other day," Albus retorted.

"Well ... well that's different," Ginny reasoned. "And besides, he deserved it!"

"I'm sure he did, Gin," Harry said with a smile.

"Do you know who's going to be Head Girl?" Ginny asked kindly.

"Whoever she is, I'll send a personal apology," Harry said with a laugh.

Lily Luna and James Sirius looked at each other. She started shaking her head with a disapproving look on her face. However, a huge grin on James's face grew.

"There's only one person it could be," Lily Luna mumbled as she cringed.

"Lily Edwards," James said victoriously.