19.

Klaus looked at where the circle of flames surrounded Layla. The was nothing there anymore but a small golden circle. Klaus picked it, it was her ring. The ring he gave her so he could call her his.

Klaus sat at their tree, his head between his knees. He was leaving this place he called home, he planned never coming back. He was able to recover Layla's delicate gold ring, the only thing he had left of her. He messed this up, like always.

"I will find you, and I will not let anyone hurt you," Klaus told the sky, "I promise you that,."

The sky was filled with emptiness, the vast blue stretching across the world. She would look at the same sky, gazing upon dreams of hers. Empty, unfulfilled dreams. The dreams that were meant to be fulfilled.

***************

"You look surprised to see me," Elijah said, "So it wasn't you that removed the dagger from my chest?"

"You look like you could do with a drink," Klaus commented, "And we have a lot to discuss, so shall we?"

Elijah rushed to him, making Klaus throw Layla out of the way. Layla stood there helpless as Elijah threw Klaus out of the window. She never seen Elijah this angry, but she would be angry to if Klaus locked her in a coffin.

"Easy. I just finished renovating," Klaus said brushing himself off, "You know you have every right to be mad at me. But I kept my word, I reunited you with our family."

Layla watched as Elijah attacked him again. He went to another coffin, removing the dagger. Inside was a man, who looked exactly like Elijah but with a mischievous and younger face.

"Don't make me do this to you again Elijah!" Klaus threatened.

He scoffed, "Come on. Use it. I dare you. You'll have Kol to deal with."

Klaus smirked, "Mikael is dead."

Elijah looked at his brother confused, "What did you say?"

"I killed him. With his own weapon. He's gone Elijah. Forever," Klaus said, "If you don't believe me ask Layla, she was there."

Elijah turned to her and she gave him a quick nod in response.

Elijah turned back to Klaus, "Why do our family remain in these coffins? Finn for over 900 years, Kol for over a century."

"Because of Stefan Salvatore. He holds the one thing keeping me from freeing them. There are things that you do not know about our past, Elijah. Our mother's death," Klaus said, "Things I never wanted you to know but I'm ready to tell you now. I only ask that you remember the oath of loyalty you once swore to me."

Something in Layla wanted to tell Elijah that is was really his brother that killed his mother. But she pushed it down knowing Klaus would be angry and an angry Klaus is worse.

"What are you doing?"

Klaus slid the dagger back into Kol's heart. "Always and forever. I need you to stand by my side. Be my brother. Help me destroy Stefan and I promise you our family will be whole again," he said as the lid of the coffin shut.

Klaus turned to Layla. He could tell she was shocked. He sighed, "Let's get you home, love."

*****************

Layla walked into the Gilbert house in the morning. Her and Elena had plans of going shopping. She sat at the kitchen table, eating breakfast. Layla wanted to tell Elena about the new information she was given about the curse.

"So if vampire blood won't turn you then what will?" Elena asked.

Layla shrugged, "I don't know."