48. Another Host

Hopper finally pulled up to the cabin after a long day. He glanced over at the half drunken wine bottle from Enzo's and the two take out containers for the girls that he sat on the passenger seat. He snatched the containers before barely falling over as he stumbled out of the blazer and walked to the front door.

He opened the unlocked door and squinted his eyes as shouting came from the bedroom.

"Hey!.... HEY!!! BREAK IT UP-", he shouted as he burst into the room only to find Jamie and El sitting inches from the tv while watching a scary movie.

The two girls looked over at him in disgust as his clothes were a mess, and he reeked of alcohol and cigarettes.

"Geez, do you knock?!", Jamie said.

"Yeah, Geez", El echoed.

"Oh, heyyy. I'm sorry. I though that uhh..."

"We're just watching a movie", Jamie replied.

"We're were yelling at the character in the movie. She's a dumb bitc-", El added as she started to repeat her sister's words.

"Did you need something?", Jamie quickly interrupted.

Hopper looked at El and then at Jamie. He blamed everything on one too many drinks and figured that El's phone call a few hours earlier was a false alarm.

"No, no, no. I just got you guys some food but I'll just... I'll just leave it", he said before quickly shutting the door and feeling like a dipshit.

He then chuckled to himself and feelt foolish for thinking that Jamie could possibly be a host to something that hasn't been an issue ...

Until recently.

Hopper shook his head to clear his thoughts. He went over towards the couch, kicked his boots off, and set his feet on the table as he reclined in his chair.

He filled his coffee mug with chianti, and took one last glance at the closed door before resting his eyes.

————-

Hopper rested his forehead in his hand while his elbow balanced the weight on the table. He blew a puff of smoke before putting out the butt of his second cigarette. He glanced at the clock and and took a deep breath while anxiously tapping his foot.

"Look, it's like 4 in the morning", he groaned into the phone. "I'm sure we can talk about this later."

The person on the other end continued to speak as they weren't satisfied with his answer. Hopper huffed again and leaned back in his chair before balling his free hand into a fist.

"No. Absolutely fucking not. I won't do it", he said

Before they could finish their response, Hopper slammed his fist down on the table out of frustration.

"Well I just want to remind you of something, damn it", he said aggressively. "Last time I checked, she shot out of my balls, not yours. So if I say no, then the answer is n— We'll being her granddad doesn't mean jack shit Dennis!"

After another eyeroll and the responses of Diane's father, Hopper huffed one last time.

"Frankly, I don't give a damn whose house it is. If Jamie still wants her things then I'll come get them and that's it. I'm done. Goodbye", he said before hanging up.

Hopper finally stood up from the small dining room table and stretched before walking over to the bedroom door. As he peeked his head in, he only caught a glimpse of El before the sound of gunfire sounded right outside the cabin.