Chapter Five

The wind blew harshly, causing strands of Ember's hair to fall to the front of her face. She sighed out in annoyance as she walked across the courtyard towards the front entrance of the school. She'd taken her time to do her sleek low bun and here goes the wind, fucking it up without a care in the world.

"Seriously, you don't have to hate me that much." Ember mumbled as she pushed her fallen hair behind her ear. She was dressed pretty simple today with a pair of Levi jeans and a black lives matter shirt that she tucked in. She wore a pair of black and white Dolce & Gabanna sneakers that matched her black shirt with white words. She didn't wear name brand too much because material things didn't mean much to her. Clothes were clothes as long as they were cute.

She wore her black lives matter shirt because they would be having a debate about slavery in her first period. Although she was known as the quiet one, she had a lot of things to say. Ember was on go and ready to read anyone to filth this morning.

"I'm walking you to class." Ember tells Justin.

"Okay." Justin followed close behind her with his Spider-Man in hand. She would always walk him to class every morning, making sure that no one messed with him.

She saw the way that people looked at Justin and judged him. Honestly she hated it. Hated how much this generation of children could be so cruel and careless of others feelings. Justin couldn't help his disability.

"I'll come find you after lunch too." Ember continued. Justin didn't switch classes like everyone else. His class would sit in one class all day or switch amongst two other teachers in the area. They would go outside, bake cookies or read books. They didn't do much. They learned as well not just had fun or anything.

There were other students just like Justin. He was happy that he had others that he could connect with and not just the so-called normal kids that made fun of him. Ember always told her brother that he was unique and special in every way that people wouldn't understand.

Ember helped Justin to his class before she started back up the hall towards her class. She saw Madison in the hall talking to one of her other friends but she didn't say anything to Ember. She didn't care because Madison had been doing the most lately. The bell rang loudly, signalling the students to go to class.

As usual Ember was the first one inside. Her teacher took one look at her shirt and sighed but she didn't say anything. Just as Ember chose her seat in the far back, students started to pile in, including Madison who had been conversing with Tyrell who sat next to her. Ember rolled her eyes. There were many other seats besides the one directly next to her.

Tyrell looked over at Ember but he didn't say anything. He disliked her, a lot but since she was Namiko's friend, he had to pretend to like her. He studied her a little while longer, taking in her facial features. He couldn't deny how pretty Ember was. If he weren't with Namiko before they met, he would have gotten with Ember instead.

"Okay class, I hope you read the assignment last night. Today we will not just be discussing slavery but what has been going on with the protests and riots." Mrs. Garcia says.

"Well, can I start the debate first?" A hispanic girl by the name of Margarita raised her hand.

"Go ahead, start us off." Mrs. Garcia smiled a bit. She was one of her many favorite students including Ember.

"I just want to say that I read the assignment and what happened during slavery was horrible. I mean why were people treated that way because their skin wasn't white?" Margarita said.

"I feel as though black people chose to be slaves." Madison blurted.

"What?" Tyrell frowned as he looked over at Madison.