The Return of Quaid, Part 5/5

Later on, the gang stand in the middle of the city awaiting Weasel, Vex at the head of the group. The others look prepared and determined, but Varian notices that Vex looks terrified, though she's trying not to show it.

 The others look prepared and determined, but Varian notices that Vex looks terrified, though she's trying not to show it

"I can't believe I'm doing this," Vex says, staring down at the ground. "I feel like an idiot..."

"Yeah, kid, becoming one of the good guys will do that," Eugene tells her, placing an encouraging hand on her shoulder.

Soon enough, Weasel and his goons approach. Despite himself, Varian inches farther and farther back, hiding behind Cassandra.

"Well, well!" Weasel says with a wicked smile. "The princess and her playgroup are still here. And it looks like there's a new sheriff in town."

"I'm a deputy, jerk!" Vex shouts, flashing her badge at him.

"Alright then, Deputy," Weasel says, sounding unimpressed. "Allow me to introduce you to a special guest. He is the most deadly, the most fearsome, and quite possibly the nastiest bounty hunter money can buy... The Collector!"

A huge man wearing large, heavy armor begins to stomp down the street. The residents of the city run out of the way, screaming. Varian even finds himself becoming full of dread.

"Come on people, don't be scared!" Eugene shouts. "I've heard the stories about this guy too, but how bad can he really be?" As soon as he says this, he turns around to see the Collector standing directly behind him. Eugene has to crane his neck to look up and see the man's face, which is concealed behind a strange mask. The Collector growls at him in response.

"There I go, speaking too soon again!" Eugene whispers in terror, running to join Varian behind Cassandra.

"Seeing as how I went through the trouble of hiring him," Weasel continues as the Collector takes his place next to him, "I'd hate to lose my deposit."

"If you think I'm backing down, you are—" Rapunzel starts to say, pointing an angry finger at Weasel. But as soon as she begins to walk toward Weasel, the Collector growls again and steps toward her menacingly.

"Rapunzel!" Cassandra yells as she and Eugene rush to protect the princess. But before they can do anything, the Collector quickly shoots at them with guns in the arms of his armor. Ropes fly from the guns and tie both Cassandra and Eugene up, leaving them in a shocked heap on the ground. He then shoots out another rope, which binds up the other members of Rapunzel's gang.

 He then shoots out another rope, which binds up the other members of Rapunzel's gang