24 || Teenaging

I could fly to the stars
I could die in your arms

MIRABELLE   SWAN

"You're not like the rest of them, Mirabelle. I should've seen it the first time I saw you." James circled around me like a vulture. I couldn't see anything else but that smirk stamped on his face. I couldn't feel any part of me or move even a hand in front of my face. It's like physically I ceased to exist. Consciously, I remained. 

"There's a beast living under your skin. You've kept it under control up until now but I wonder if you'll last with your precious Jasper around. He'll destroy everything you love - take away everything you know and turn it into a pile of mangled corpses. Or maybe you'll get to him before that." 

Nothing he said was making any sense. I wanted to tell him to go choke on his own tongue. Jasper would never hurt me. Let alone anyone or anything I consider precious. 

"You think you know him?  You don't even know yourself. You've been denying the part of you that has been trying to claw at the surface for years. That dirty, greedy, selfish part of you that you continue to deny for others. It's pathetic." 

I struggled to regain control. To materialize my body so I could rip his head off. I just wanted him to stop talking in riddles! 

"You can have anything you desire in that world. But in here, you're your own worse enemy. Which side will end up consuming you, I wonder. What I do know is that it will be entertaining to watch. Don't die until you've realized your potential, Mirabelle. Use my gift wisely." 

It was like a tidal wave breaking on my body. Everything ached and groaned and clicked whenever I moved. A bright light blinded me the first few moments I snapped my eyes open, readjusting themselves gradually until I could register that I was in a hospital room. My arm was wrapped in a cast and there was a plentitude of wires attached to me. 

"Bloody sock mongrels, my everything hurts...how long was I out?" 

"Just two days." 

I nearly jumped out of the bed. Jasper stood in the doorway holding a tray of food in his hands. I grasped my chest where my heart felt like it was about to run out my ribcage. "Jesus Christ, Jazz. A little warning for the dead, would you?" 

He walked over with a smile, placing the food to the side to take a seat and grasp one of my hands, placing a long kiss on my knuckles. There were no dark circles under his bright hazel eyes thankfully. That meant either Rose or Alice forced him to eat while I've been out of commission. 

"I thought I lost you," he whispered against my skin, refusing to look at me again. "When Carlisle brought you to the hospital we called your parents. We told them that you protected Bella when she fell down the stairs of the motel you were both staying at." 

"Is she okay?" 

"A fractured foot, mild concussion - nothing serious compared to you. Carlisle said it'll take a couple of months for your wrist to heal. The bruises and cuts will go away in a couple of weeks. You got four stitches on your hip."